Importing - when it arrives at Port... ?

saarzi
Community Member

Is anyone able to tell me - Im importing some stock, and this is my first time doing this... and I really have no idea what Im doing.. but it cant be that hard cant it? lol

When my stuff arrives into port (coming by sea), do they contact me to let me know its there?  Reason I ask is there is only my name and address on the B/L, not phone number or email, and I see no other documentation. 

If not, theres a customs broker in Oz stated on the B/L. Would I just keep calling them til it arrives?  do you have a certain time period to pick it up in?

Also, can the Import Dec be lodged on the day you pick up the items, or does it need to be lodged prior to this day?  I assume I do this, not sure why theres a customers broker involved on the B/L (I didnt ask for one).

ahh theres probably a hundred other questions I dont even know to ask 😄

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

not a courier - this is importing, as in via a container ship. Not regular post or courier that still comes under basic importing laws..

Its over $1000, and bigger than a tea chest - part container. B/L, import declarations, invoices and contracts etc are mandatory. Its a food product with my own labelling, own packaging etc.

No disrespect meant at all, but to be honest Ive had a lot of people tell me its really difficult, get into trouble etc, all by people who havent actually done it, and the entire process is actually very simple.  Its literally laid out step by step on government websites, and customs actually helps (literally has a free service) first time importers of this nature (I havent needed it yet). No one needs an expert, unless they are importing something unusual or illegal (like weapons, animal products?) in large quantities (?). Its really not complicated.

I think I exaggerated my lack of knowledge in my first post a little lol ...

The only things I dont know are literally the questions in my post.  All I really wanted to know is do i call them or do they call me (Ive heard people do both), and does the import dec need to be lodged prior or on the day, and why would a customers broker be on the DL when I dont need one/ didnt ask for one (maybe its normal?).

It was late at night when I wrote that post and figured someone must know.. its ok Ill give them a call 🙂

Many thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Wow, you are brave to be trying to import your own goods when you know nothing at all about it.

How much is involved...both $ value and quantity....is it a teachest or a container load?

Can you physically pick up the items yourself or will you need to have a truck pick it up from the wharf?

Who is the Customs Broker stated on the Bill of Lading?  I would be contacting them to ask your questions as you know nothing at all about the process.  It can be a minefield for the first timer and you can get into a lot of trouble without the proper advice.

I know enough about the process to know that I would not do it myself without advice from an expert.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

We import the vast majority of our stock.

Ours all comes in as normal boxes that a single person can carry and valued at under $1000AUD.

We never have any troubles with anybody. Sometimes customs open them for inspection and if they do they attach a label that says so.

The O/S shipping company send it via whatever carrier they use and its delivered to our door by the Aust carrier. That could be AP or DHL or whoever. We never have to go thru any of the dramas you indicate at all.

The address labels always carry our phone number and email address just in case contact is required, but it never has been.

I'm thinking you must be dealing with a very large quantity in which case I would think you will need to employ the services of an agent here.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Clarry, I am thinking large quantities too.   The OP has mentioned Bills of Lading and surface transport coming into Port Botany?  This usually indicates cargo ships and containers, which is why I asked how big the shipment is.

We are all importers when it comes to buying from overseas, even if we are only ebay buyers rather than sellers.  The difference is the amount we import at any one time.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

not a courier - this is importing, as in via a container ship. Not regular post or courier that still comes under basic importing laws..

Its over $1000, and bigger than a tea chest - part container. B/L, import declarations, invoices and contracts etc are mandatory. Its a food product with my own labelling, own packaging etc.

No disrespect meant at all, but to be honest Ive had a lot of people tell me its really difficult, get into trouble etc, all by people who havent actually done it, and the entire process is actually very simple.  Its literally laid out step by step on government websites, and customs actually helps (literally has a free service) first time importers of this nature (I havent needed it yet). No one needs an expert, unless they are importing something unusual or illegal (like weapons, animal products?) in large quantities (?). Its really not complicated.

I think I exaggerated my lack of knowledge in my first post a little lol ...

The only things I dont know are literally the questions in my post.  All I really wanted to know is do i call them or do they call me (Ive heard people do both), and does the import dec need to be lodged prior or on the day, and why would a customers broker be on the DL when I dont need one/ didnt ask for one (maybe its normal?).

It was late at night when I wrote that post and figured someone must know.. its ok Ill give them a call 🙂

Many thanks

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I know that we always aske posters to give as much information as possible when asking questions on the boards, but that does not mean exaggeration.

As I said, I know enough about the process not to try and do it myself without expert help and I could get that with just a phone call to my daughter who works for an international logistics company.  While it is not her job to liase with Customs she does arrange the transport to pick the shipments up from the wharf.

As you know so much, why did you come here.....ring Customs yourself and get the information direct from them.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I picked up a shipment once from port - Melbourne.

I wouldn't do it again.

I'd also get a customs broker do do the clearance etc. For the small amount it costs,

it makes it so much easier.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

import a lot although mainly under $1000 so no import issues but I have done a few containers.

A few questions

1. Is your consignment valued at under AU$1000 at time of sending? If yes then then do nothing. It will find its way to you once it is cleared by customs. Have you organised onward shipment after arrival or has your sender?

2. If over $1000 the items will be subject to inspection, GST @ 10% plus 5% import duty and maybe more depending on the items classification. THe GST on this can be treated as a tax input credit and claimed back if you are claiming GST. The 5% is a tax. And not an expense as such and will need to be factored into your costs.

3. To organise your own clearances can be problematic especially for novices. I wouldn't do mine even now as customs brokers are fairly cheap, their fees are tax deductable anyway. Would you ask a baker for legal advise?  If all there is , is an address/name on there then most probably customs will write to you and ask for relevant clearance documentation to be prepared. Be aware though they may charge additional fees for storage of the goods if you mess them around. All that yinfo should be on their website and may have changed since I last did it but its basically done to encourage you to use a broker. So by trying to save money by not getting a broker you may end up incurring additional fees.

My advice - if its under $1000 let nature take its course and the goods should arrive to you as long as there is onward forwarding organised ( which is most likely) and the freight passes any customs inspection- if it's over $1000 get a customs broker. There are loads and they are not expensive.

Be wary of whats on the box description as well. A few weeks ago I bought in a load of Bananas in Pyjamas items. The shipper wrote "bananas hats' on the commercial invoice. My shipment was impounded for a week as customs thought I was illegally importing fruit and went through the whole consignment!!! Generally they are particuarly interested in anything with live materials in it (or once live) such as wood or paper for example.

Cheers

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The OP has said that it is a part container load valued at more than $1000.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

sorry didnt read down to that post

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply