International postage rate tables

Hi everyone. I hope it’s a good morning for you 🙂

I am so confuzzled 😞

Is there such a thing as an international postage rate table? Perhaps I should tell a story...

We usually charge a flat rate - the same for all international destinations based on the postage cost into the US, which represents over 90% of our international sales. But, what I’m trying to do now is set up a postage table of some description for example... US $$$$ - UK $$$$ - Europe $$$$ - Pacific Isles $$$$ - Japan $$$$ and so on, to be applied at the time of purchase.

Ive been playing with postage tables and other bits n pieces, but I can’t see my way through it.

Can anyone give me some direction with this please?

thanks, always.

Melina.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There isn't an international postage rate table as such, but you can specify different rates to different countries or continents (eg Europe and Asia are listed as one destination - typically shipping rates to countries within them will be the same if not very similar, though). 

I only know how to set it up in the listing form, as I don't have business policies on my selling account, but the initial process should be similar if you need to set it up through a business policy.

In the listing form, when you go to select international postage, you need to select whether you will have a worldwide rate, or "Choose custom location". 

If you select "Custom location", this pops up:

custom location.PNG

You can tick as many of the boxes as the rate you enter will apply to, but to add more / different specified rates to other locations, click "Offer another service" where you again need to select "Choose custom location", tick the destinations the different rate will apply to and enter the cost. You can add multiple custom locations, and then also have a "rest of the world" rate for any places you'll post to that don't have a specific cost entered under a custom location (quoting for the US and UK specifically is always recommended for additional visibility to those buyers). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

There isn't an international postage rate table as such, but you can specify different rates to different countries or continents (eg Europe and Asia are listed as one destination - typically shipping rates to countries within them will be the same if not very similar, though). 

I only know how to set it up in the listing form, as I don't have business policies on my selling account, but the initial process should be similar if you need to set it up through a business policy.

In the listing form, when you go to select international postage, you need to select whether you will have a worldwide rate, or "Choose custom location". 

If you select "Custom location", this pops up:

custom location.PNG

You can tick as many of the boxes as the rate you enter will apply to, but to add more / different specified rates to other locations, click "Offer another service" where you again need to select "Choose custom location", tick the destinations the different rate will apply to and enter the cost. You can add multiple custom locations, and then also have a "rest of the world" rate for any places you'll post to that don't have a specific cost entered under a custom location (quoting for the US and UK specifically is always recommended for additional visibility to those buyers). 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

That’s what I need.

You are a Godsend Digi. I’ve been pulling my hair out.

You’re a legend. Thank you many muchly’s 🙂

If ever you’re close at ‘wine oclock’ just knock ... lol.

Thank you.

Melina.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in here. I am a private seller of decades of accumulated toot. Therefore I do not have a store and sell for a few months here and there until I run out of steam and take a break.

As I get so confused I have only stuck to Postage Australia. Using prepaid satchels and envelopes only.

However I am wondering if I am really missing out by not selling internationally? Especially with the AUD as it is at present.

But I can see so many complications with this. I set a fixed rate for all over Australia, which does include extra for comission on postage, packing, handling etc.

I just cannot get my head around international postage. If eg you use the table which you posted, can you increase for issues as stated above.

I think I am getting a bit long in the tooth to handle the thought of working out a price for different shapes, sizes and weights for different countries.I am wondering how others manage.

Is there a simple method? I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you for listening 🙂

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Aust post release a "Post Charges" booklet every 6 months. It is FREE and full of information and pricing is up to date.

Takes a while to get through it all but we find it an absolute necessity in our workroom. Has a lot of info that we don't use, but worth getting from your local PO.

Released March and October in line with the new updates and increases (never a drop-sob sob) in prices.  

We also use calculated shipping and the system automatically calculates and prices for any international shipping. We only send to selected countries approx 8 and this keeps our life a bit simpler.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@grannytakesatrip17 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in here. I am a private seller of decades of accumulated toot. Therefore I do not have a store and sell for a few months here and there until I run out of steam and take a break.

As I get so confused I have only stuck to Postage Australia. Using prepaid satchels and envelopes only.

However I am wondering if I am really missing out by not selling internationally? Especially with the AUD as it is at present.

But I can see so many complications with this. I set a fixed rate for all over Australia, which does include extra for comission on postage, packing, handling etc.

I just cannot get my head around international postage. If eg you use the table which you posted, can you increase for issues as stated above.

I think I am getting a bit long in the tooth to handle the thought of working out a price for different shapes, sizes and weights for different countries.I am wondering how others manage.

Is there a simple method? I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you for listening 🙂

For smaller items under 500 grams it is pretty easy. If they are too large to fit in a standard letter, I charge $22.00. This covers the basic postage cost to just about everywhere in the world including tracking number. I usually work on high profit margins for the things I sell, so absorb the ebay fees on this one.

For flat items that can go as a large letter, I charge $12.50 up to 250 gramms, again absorbing ebay fees on postage and $19.50 for 250-500gram. ( actual cost around $18.00 usually. ) You dont get tracking at these costs but I just wear the very occasional item going missing. I mail to anywhere in the world and it doesnt happen as often as you would think. For more expensive items above around $60 , I pay a few dollars extra out of my own pocket for tracking.

For larger 500 gram - 1 kg. I usually charge $38.00. This seems to cover most countries and most of the time I get tracking included at that price, but sometimes have to wear the ebay fees. There are two basic air mail systems. The first is economy, no tracking. The second is standard air mail, usually a few dollars ( $4-$6 for up to 1 kg. ) dearer but includes tracking and slightly quicker sometimes.

The only place where postage is much cheaper than this is NZ. Sometimes NZ buyers request a revised invoice, sometimes they just pay and I send.

It is easy to tie yourself up in knots worrying about $2 here or there, but if you have enough fat in your profit margins, it doesnt really matter. What is important is to sell as much stuff as possible with high enough profit margins that you can afford to drop a buck or two here and there without stressing.

OS sales used to make up 25-30% of my sales. Currently they are up around 50%. I had one day last week when seven of my eight sales went OS. The postage bill was over $250, so it is worth keeping in mind it is going to hurt when you go to the post office and make provisions to manage the expense.

I use a seperate bank account linked to a debit card that I only use to pay for my postage. This gives me simple records for tax purposes. I do some quick sums before I head to the PO and check there is enough money in the account to pay the bill before I lob up at the counter.

Its all pretty basic and not exactly perfect, but works for me without too much stress.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

PS. The above information relates to items that would fit in a small shoe box. Once you get above that size, extra postage costs would start to kick in throwing the figures out the window. I usually only sell smaller items internationally.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks, may I ask which countries please?
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for that great explanation. I notice that you say sales are increasing OS, which is good.

Do you know, it didn't enter my head about the painful payments when you visit Aus Post haha.

The majority of what I am selling is pretty low value, I occasionally sell a few higher priced items, I think I may stick with what I am doing.

Obviously if running as a business and being able to add decent margins, your method makes sense.

I may decide to carry on as normal. Thanks for the great tips thoug. You are a gem.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

astromerica
Community Member

I've been an eBay buyer and seller for over 20 years. Both in Australia and originally in the states. No, you're not crazy. The Australian eBay set-up is absolute 8$. It does not reflect reality. Did I mention I also own a freight forwarding company? Unfortunately, eBay AU seems to reflect the views of many Aussies... that is, Australia Post is the only organisation that will get an item from A to Zed... Which is ridiculous. Australia Post is one of the WORST postal systems I've ever dealt with. No. eBay AU does not allow you to easily set shipping rates. And NO, shipping to "ASIA" is not all the same. At all. It actually reeks of racism to think all of "ASIA" is one place. You'll find that the cost of shipping to different areas of "ASIA" can range from $50-$300. Why eBay AU does not allow for individual country flat rates is absurd. Also, it's not how any other eBay site works.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply