International postage

Posting to the US has just got harder, must weight each item before packing it. Today I tried  posted a necklace but I was sent away because I Didn,t have necklace weight only, open the package weigh the necklace repack and got it posted,was told more countries to follow suit.

Next I will be asked to stand on one leg and hop before an item will be accepted

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: International postage

I had no idea this was an issue since I print my own labels off https://auspost.com.au/mypost-business and it has always asked for item weight and contact details.

Is there some advantage to actually going into the post office and having them do it?

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Buy a $10 set of digital scales.

If you are doing enough business, buy a $70 set that has a bigger weighing bed, a display that doesn't get covered by your item and plugs into power so you don't have to turn it on every time you have something to weigh.

I bought this one and have been very happy with it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Commercial-Scale-Food-Meat-Grocer-Produce-Shop-Logistics-Weight-...

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I'll stick with my $10 ones. Had them for 10 years and I think I'll have to replace the original battery soon. The bed is big enough and pushing a button while I pick them up is not too much of an imposition. And they turn off automatically - probably why the battery has lasted.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

I had no idea this was an issue since I print my own labels off https://auspost.com.au/mypost-business and it has always asked for item weight and contact details.

Is there some advantage to actually going into the post office and having them do it?

Not that I can think of, unless someone doesn't have a printer, I guess, and has used a CN23 form for all the details.

I had an international parcel today for the first time in months (I ship through DHL to international destinations now, but it's an economy service that takes a couple of weeks or so for delivery, and this buyer wanted express which is cheaper through AP). The label was created through My Post Business (recommended for anyone who sends at least 5 parcels a week, because discounts). The only thing the counter staff had to do that they never did before was enter the postcode. (Before, they had to enter the country code and check the weight, so I guess still a 50% increase in tasks Smiley Very Happy ).

If you're filling out the info on a CN23 form, you may as well do it electronically and save the time at the counter, if you can print off the labels. The express parcel I sent today received a 15% discount* on the cost as well, so I paid a tad over $35 for it when it's usually around $42.

*MyPost Business discounts start at 10% for sending 5 parcels a week, domestic or international, and while there are no discounts on domestic parcels going to regional areas, there are higher discounts on parcels to major metro areas, so definitely suited to those who mostly send to metro areas. Even if you don't qualify for discounts, you'll still save the counter time. 

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply