Is Auspost starting to charge receiver for underpaid parcels in 2021?

I recently received 2 messages from my buyers saying that the large letter I sent to them were held at the counter and they need to pay for it, to be able to collect. Auspost don't even print a receipt for them, making me a bit confused.

Because I use my real address on the letter I send, so in the past I always receive a bill from Auspost regarding certain underpaid postage issues. Has they changed rules? I have always paid these bills, thus I shouldn't be on a blacklist, or is that what's happening here?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I put a return address label on everything, and while it hasn't happened for a long time (a couple of years) some of my buyers have received underpaid postage bills in the past. They advised my label was in tact, so I suspect AP charge the recipient when they're not supposed to because they pay more frequently. (The buyers also sent through evidence that they were in fact charged this amount, in one case there were no postage stamps on the front at all, not sure how that happened but I wouldn't put it past me to have done it accidentally, and a couple of others had been weighed incorrectly and were over 125g with only 2 stamps).  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

New update, I am scammed. I don't think it's my customer, but Auspost.

I always print my return address on my envelope. Like so, the coaster is where I always put my receiver's address.

IMG_6310.jpg

This was what my customer received, they sticked over my return address to make it look like I did not provide my return address:

IMG_6318.PNG

Then they charged my customer, and they do not have the gut to give him a correct receipt.

They "sold" him 12 stamps totalling exactly $8.25.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

If you look up the tracking number on the envelope, you will notice the receipt time is the exact moment when the parcel is collected.

I therefore believe my customer's claim, who the hell buys 5c stamps nowadays anyway?

I suspect this scam was run by the redbank plaza post office staff.

I had to bite the bitterness and refund my customer $8.25. My other customer, who was also from queensland, was asked for $7.5 underpaid postage. He left me a negative feedback, and changed to a neutral after I refunded him the $7.5. He even had no receipt from the post office.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If there is a return address on an underpaid letter/parcel AP usually charges the sender....if not then the receiver is charged.

Why would you send anything with underpaid postage anyway?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I put a return address label on everything, and while it hasn't happened for a long time (a couple of years) some of my buyers have received underpaid postage bills in the past. They advised my label was in tact, so I suspect AP charge the recipient when they're not supposed to because they pay more frequently. (The buyers also sent through evidence that they were in fact charged this amount, in one case there were no postage stamps on the front at all, not sure how that happened but I wouldn't put it past me to have done it accidentally, and a couple of others had been weighed incorrectly and were over 125g with only 2 stamps).  

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@matildasportsau wrote:

I recently received 2 messages from my buyers saying that the large letter I sent to them were held at the counter and they need to pay for it, to be able to collect. Auspost don't even print a receipt for them, making me a bit confused.

Because I use my real address on the letter I send, so in the past I always receive a bill from Auspost regarding certain underpaid postage issues. Has they changed rules? I have always paid these bills, thus I shouldn't be on a blacklist, or is that what's happening here?

I might assume that if it occurs too often, which the highlighted sentence suggests, A.Post will no doubt think you are trying it on hoping the underpaids will slip through undetected.

Weigh properly, package correctly, pay correct postage = problem solved.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

They have charged the receiver for years.

I had someone post me cash to pay for an item. They sent coins. In an envelope. No extra tape. And no stamp. The envelope arrived torn. Half the coins missing. I had to pay the postage and the fee. For a half empty envelope

This was 20 years ago. So it’s not new.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

New update, I am scammed. I don't think it's my customer, but Auspost.

I always print my return address on my envelope. Like so, the coaster is where I always put my receiver's address.

IMG_6310.jpg

This was what my customer received, they sticked over my return address to make it look like I did not provide my return address:

IMG_6318.PNG

Then they charged my customer, and they do not have the gut to give him a correct receipt.

They "sold" him 12 stamps totalling exactly $8.25.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

If you look up the tracking number on the envelope, you will notice the receipt time is the exact moment when the parcel is collected.

I therefore believe my customer's claim, who the hell buys 5c stamps nowadays anyway?

I suspect this scam was run by the redbank plaza post office staff.

I had to bite the bitterness and refund my customer $8.25. My other customer, who was also from queensland, was asked for $7.5 underpaid postage. He left me a negative feedback, and changed to a neutral after I refunded him the $7.5. He even had no receipt from the post office.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I am very positive that I am not on a blacklist.

Why? Because I applied for a business charge account with $500 credit limit with Auspost with no problem just this week.

I am going to print this charge account number on my envelopes from now on.

I'm going to let the tax payer's corporation charge me directly, instead of letting some crooked post office take the money for themselves. (see my last post)

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I don't think that is 20mm, furthermore based on the tracking you aren't submitting these at the post office, they would tell you if they are underpaid and you would have a ground to stand on if they say its "underpaid"

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

As you have marked your own post as the solution, can we assume that you no longer require advice? Or that you ever did? Advertising generally doesn't work on the boards, which would be the only other 'relevant' reason.

I notice that your original parcel arrived in a thicker condition than what you claim you sent. And you only paid $2.20. Thus $8.95 plus $1.50 Admin fee minus $2.20 equals, you guessed it, $8.25. Sprung.

You underpaid, you were caught out, you paid the price. Simple.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Yep, busted big time! No way that parcel was under 20mm. When you look at the OP's listings, the free post items mention being sent as an untracked letter. Majority of them would be over 20mm. I think it would be hilarious if they are now on APs radar, and they get pinged for all the oversized items they send as a large letter. 

I bet now that they have been busted, we won't see them back here again.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply