Is anyone else getting more requests to pick up? Are they scammers?

I have over the past year been getting more & more requests from buyers wanting to come to the house to pick up or look!  I offer to meet them instead somewhere close but don't offer to let them come to the house and then I never hear from them again! Are they scammers or what? How do other sellers handle these requests? 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@sharonspdc wrote:

I have over the past year been getting more & more requests from buyers wanting to come to the house to pick up or look!  I offer to meet them instead somewhere close but don't offer to let them come to the house and then I never hear from them again! Are they scammers or what? How do other sellers handle these requests? 

I don't think they are scammers but I suspect they are people who are uncertain about committing in the first place. They are just not sure yet if they really want to buy but are thinking about it. Pick up is one way in their mind to bring the total cost down a bit.

I had a quick look at one or two of your ads and a scroll down the listings and while your items are a variety of prices and no doubt worth what you are asking as they look to be lovely stones, I imagine some customers are humming and haaaing about whether they should spend the $60 or $100 (or whatever it happens to be) on themselves. So they are keen on the jewellery and tempted but just unsure about spending, for one reason or another.

Your photos are perfectly clear and you have a range of different photos for each item, your descriptions are detailed and include measurements. Therefore I don't believe you need to meet anyone in order for them to see the pieces in real life. I am not sure you are allowed to do that anyway (give address details out) until someone has bought. You could get into trouble with ebay.

Those who buy and ask about pick up must be locals. I can see you don't offer pick up but my guess is if they are local, they are asking because they think it could be an easy way to save $10-$12.50 on postage. That's one of the reasons people pick up items. They figure that if they pick up at your house then they have saved you the trouble of posting etc so that charge won't be payable. If you met them somewhere, maybe they wonder if that still applies as you have travelling costs.

In your place, I would gently reply to those who want to examine before buying, with a note that it is not possible, you don't offer that service.

You could then do as you have been doing and offer pick up elsewhere but what may cause some buyers not to go ahead is it adds a couple of extra layers onto normal pick up. Going to a home is easier, it is a definite address, knock on the door, hand over money, minimal contact with seller needed. Maybe going to a shopping centre is more challenging in their mind, they have to identify the right person etc, plus of course, they have to commit to a pretty exact time range.

That won't worry everyone, it wouldn't worry me.

But my experience with pick up sales (on facebook etc) is some customers will ask if they can pick up on such and such a date but they expect to have an open time eg all morning, all afternoon and or all evening.

So I suspect that with pick ups, you are probably usually going to get a higher rate of people choosing that if the pick up is from a home or shop.

You don't have to worry about any of that really though. Pick what suits you. Just either reply that pick up can be arranged at eg such and such a shopping centre or else reply that pick up is not available. You don't have to give a reason.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I have had a few (less than 10) buyers over the years asking if they could pick up, despite my listings state that local pick up is not available. I do offer to meet them somewhere, like Maccas carpark or the supermarket carpark, or even Bunnings. All have taken up the offer and were more than happy to meet up. That said, I live in a rural/.regional area, where it's less than 10 minutes to meet up at the location suggested, so it's really no big deal for either party. One person lived around the corner (literally). I walked around and hand delivered it. They were stoked!

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
I also live in a rural area and don't offer pick up, but once I had a prospective buyer ask if I could drop the item off next time I'm in Canberra, about a 4 hour trip and I've probably only been to Canberra twice in 20 years. Must have thought I was just over the hill. 🙂
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@sharonspdc wrote:

I live Melb metro and also trade on FB Marketplace where accepted practice is pick up (although quite a few ask for postatage). I don't mind pick ups from my house - there is someone else always there with me, but I have never felt nervous about the practice, perhaps because the sort of items I sell usually attract females (although not always).

In your case, it certainly seems odd that you offer to meet in a public place but you never hear from them again. I doubt they really wanted to buy. I don't think they are 'scammers' - why would you think so? 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I've never had any problems with people picking up from home, or meeting at a local railway station (ideal for buyers who only use public transport). At times when payment has been made by Paypal, I've left a parcel in the letter box or porch - again no problems. With cash on pick up, a couple of times I've left items in my porch with an envelope and returned home to find the envelope with correct cash under the door mat (twice a buyer has rounded up as they thought the item was worth it).

However in the last year I've discovered another reason for a person wanting to pick up. Other listed items have caught their fancy.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Sold a lounge yesterday with pick up as it wouldn't fit in a satchel. Buyer paid with something called cash, rectangular pieces of plastic. Haven't seen that for a long time, I thought I was being scammed...
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Well done 😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣 high fives 🙌🙌🙌

@south.coffee wrote:
Sold a lounge yesterday with pick up as it wouldn't fit in a satchel. Buyer paid with something called cash, rectangular pieces of plastic. Haven't seen that for a long time, I thought I was being scammed...

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Some of your items are absolutely beautiful, do you do markets or any thing like that ? Would be a demand for the items you sell that is for sure

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I offer pick ups as postage costs continue to rise and totally understand those not wanting to offer pick up and give home address details, however, on the invoice, eBay actually include the seller's address at the bottom of the invoice stating "if you wish to post a cheque, money order......." , no mention of pick up so not sure why eBay give out a sellers address, and I don't accept cheques or money orders so giving out an address doesn't seem right.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I've only had 2 buyers who asked if local pick up might be possible, both very nice and paid via Paypal in advance as normal. One was a guy who lived 20 minutes away and needed a gym crop top for his wife ASAP, and the other was a nice older lady who lived 5 minutes away and wanted to buy 4 hard back books. All good!
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply