Is eBay informing buyers to make a claim for items not recieved

OMG 7 more yesterday!!!

Is anyone who has bought anything from ebay the last month being emailed from ebay notifying them if their item hasn't arrived and can't be verified by tracking to put in a claim regardless if they actually have the item or not?

Over the last 5 years or so of me selling on ebay with over 7,200 sales all over the world, I have had maybe 10 claims from buyers saying their item hasn't arrived. They would message me first too. Not now!

The last couple of weeks, 16 from 18 sales have now gone straight to put in a claim!!

**bleep** is going on ebay?!?!?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Nope, it hasn't happened to me and I was well behind with feedback up until a few days ago, so if eBay were sending buyers those emails I would have almost certainly got a few.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Several weeks ago I did see an advert stating to feel safe buying on eBay as you can get a refund if you don't receive the item.

It may have been on the eBay home page, I don't remember where I saw it.

image host
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Just to add, a lot of sellers are now increasing their handling time to 2-3 business days or more to combat eBay's very unrealistic ETA's for delivery, and are not finding any negative effects on sales becuse of doing it.

In the lead up to Xmas ETA's are likely to become a greater problem for sellers with increased mail deliveries and times for delivery, which I very much doubt eBay are going to take into consideration when applying thir "estimates".

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

@celebrarty wrote:

Is anyone who has bought anything from ebay the last month being emailed from ebay notifying them if their item hasn't arrived and can't be verified by tracking to put in a claim regardless if they actually have the item or not?

The only thing I've heard of remotely like that is - apparently - Mac (app) users get notifications pop up on their computers when an order hasn't arrived by eBay's ETA, saying that their order is late. 

I don't use a Mac, or any of the eBay apps to purchase, so I don't know what these notifications look like, whether there's any links to take buyers to the request system etc, nor can I say how widespread the use of Macs / eBay apps is. (16 of 18 would be failry unlikely, so I'd say there's something else at play in these cases). 

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

It wouldn't hurt to add on a priority sticker (only 50c) given that the stuff you are selling appears to be things that would get sent as a small or large letter.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

A priority sticker is not proof of delivery.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Sure, but it will help the items to arrive in half the time that they would otherwise... so less chance of cases being opened prematurely.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Maybe they have to go through Underwood in Qld,Sushine West in Victoria or Chullora in NSW.

Which are all black spots for mail getting stuck and taking longer to deliver.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

We rarely use the priority stickers on our ebay large letter items. Only if a buyer mentions they need it quickly.

When ebay brought in this new late delivery defect system earlier this year we extended our handling time out from same day to 3-days to combat this. Since the beginning we have not had a single late delivery defect across our two stores and the only thing we have noticed is an increase in positive feedback comments about how fast our delivery is.

We have these 50-cent stickers as a postage option on our website and etsy and about 50% of buyers choose the option on there. But ebay have not as yet provided any mechanism by which to make the option available to their buyers.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply