Is eBay turning a blind eye to higher volume sellers refusing paypal?

Hi, I've noticed multiple listings from a seller explicitly stating "WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL AS A PAYMENT OPTION".   Item number 382207802057

I thought paypal (or another safe payment method) was mandatory? 

Wondering if ebay's in such a state they're ok turning a blind eye so as not to ruffle feathers and lose commissions.

Of course all the buyer protections fly out the window without paypal in the picture (but I am wondering if the red text is mostly hot air to intimidate buyers into not paying by paypal  - I imagine if they actually refused paypal payment ebay would get wind of it sooner or later though). Some of their items are pick up only so I understand the no paypal policy there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-iPhone-7-32gb-Black-DEMO-MODEL-/382207802057?hash=item58fd5c3ac9:g:...

Item number 382207802057

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Is eBay turning a blind eye to higher volume sellers refusing paypal?

Shop Demo phones aren't even usable in the real world they are usually sold as DUMMY phones as they only run a simulation program. There is going to be a very angry purchaser of that one.
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Regardless of the payment methods which are fine if they really are able to accept card payments I cannot  understand why some high feedback buyers would be bidding. You can perhaps understand why some newbies may think they will get a working phone and not a door stop.

Their feedback would have me heading for the hills without getting as far as reading the description which is probably absolutely accurate as it reads as if you will receive a pone that does not work.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I don't know a lot about phones but like you, I would not be tempted to bid.

The whole ad seems negative. It starts with an 'of course' it won't function like most phones but then doesn't give any details at all about the phone or what it can do.

I gave a cynical laugh at the bit below in red:

What details? There weren't any.They don't actually explain what the faults may be but then say they won't answer any questions either.

Yet their auction seems to be going like a rocket. I just wish our stuff had sold so quickly back in the day, with so little description, just a bunch of stuff that screams "no responsibility-buy at your own risk"

It is being sold as is, the details that are included are part of this deal and price.

There may be faults with the item besides what we have mentioned here, we are only stating known issues. We are not responsible for any other issues with the item.
Message 13 of 13
Latest reply