Is it ok to buy from retail stores and sell on ebay

maahi
Community Member

Hi There,

Is it OK to buy from retailers like JBhi fi or dicksmith and than sell on ebay?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it ok to buy from retail stores and sell on ebay

What the others say.Smiley Wink

It's like this. Unless you can undersell the retailers by a decent margin, a lot of buyers won't bother. Here's why.

I am currently looking at buying an electrical appliance. The RRP is listed as $349.

The reality is you can pick it up for less than that just about any shop, just as you can get most items under RRP.

It is online at one of the big retailers at $299.

A friend of mine went in and bargained it down a bit more, bought it for $285.

It's got a few listigns on ebay at about $319 plus postage. Tell them they're dreaming.Smiley Tongue

Even at $275 for pick up (which is another one I saw on ebay), I would prefer to go into the store, pay $285 and have the 100% guarantee time, the receipt etc.

I'm betting a lot of buyers would be the same, unless the price is much cheaper.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can buy from pretty much anywhere and resell on eBay.

Whether it is worth it, profit-wise, is another matter.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I would have to agree with davewil. I only purchase from wholesalers and at times their prices on some items are higher than the large retailers.

Before you start selling on ebay (or online generally) do some research on what items you are contemplating selling to determine whether there is a demand for the items  and whether you can be price competitive. As many B&M stores also sell online these days you may be trying to compete against your own suppliers.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

What the others say.Smiley Wink

It's like this. Unless you can undersell the retailers by a decent margin, a lot of buyers won't bother. Here's why.

I am currently looking at buying an electrical appliance. The RRP is listed as $349.

The reality is you can pick it up for less than that just about any shop, just as you can get most items under RRP.

It is online at one of the big retailers at $299.

A friend of mine went in and bargained it down a bit more, bought it for $285.

It's got a few listigns on ebay at about $319 plus postage. Tell them they're dreaming.Smiley Tongue

Even at $275 for pick up (which is another one I saw on ebay), I would prefer to go into the store, pay $285 and have the 100% guarantee time, the receipt etc.

I'm betting a lot of buyers would be the same, unless the price is much cheaper.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Agree with springy, especially re warranty.

Many are now realizing ebay items often don't carry a warranty even if the seller claims it does.

image host
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply