Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

4*sale
Community Member

As eBay sellers you've all received the "Getting paid on eBay has changed" email from ebay and tried to set up payment through Payout settings. To create payment account you need to ad your bank, eBay asked  meto use my customer ID and password. My question here is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

@annieoakley2000 wrote:

Good luck to those who think, E-Bay will suddenly be a sensible/logical company to deal with if they haven't been able to give a sensible answer before the managed payment system has come into place !!

Providing a residential address is not an eBay requirement, it's appears to be something specific to Australia.

Etsy have the same requirement, and Australia is the only one they have it for - see screenshot.

address requirement.PNG

Message 41 of 50
Latest reply

The banks etc I have an account with, all have my P.O. Box as my postal address; been working without incidence for 30 or so years. I don't have a problem with giving my street address as long as they don't use my street address as my postal address, which will happen if that is all they have on file and that is what E-Bay now wanted from me and that is the point I was trying to make.

On all intelligent forms there's always postal address first and then street address; on the E-Bay form there's two street addresses; now that doesn't make any sense to me and this is the company you are going to trust your bank balance to with their new managed payments fandangling and customer service inconsistencies/vagaries.

Once again good luck to anyone thinking that is a good idea!

Message 42 of 50
Latest reply

Who is going to be trusting ebay with their bank balance. Ebay has always had the option of a bank account on file to pay fees.

Message 43 of 50
Latest reply

Because they are asking for banking customer number and password which will then access your online bank accounts. If you only have one account with nothing much in it great. Mine would access 7 accounts including a self managed super account and be able to jump into my investment trading account. So.... No.... I do not want to give them my banking customer number and password. 

Message 44 of 50
Latest reply

You don't have to. It will mean that you won't be able to sell on eBay, but that's your choice. Or you can provide the requirements and change your password afterwards. Or you could read any of the many threads about this on the selling discussion board, some of which have workarounds for the paranoic.

Message 45 of 50
Latest reply

@behrnes wrote:

So.... No.... I do not want to give them my banking customer number and password. 

There's a very simple solution, just open another account at a different bank just for eBay and use that. If you really want to, you can change that password when your Managed Payments has process been completed.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 46 of 50
Latest reply

It just sounds SO dodgy!!! We are told not to share bank account details with anyone ... eBay is no exception. You need to find another way, eBay I just don't feel comfortable with it - especially, when I've had multiple transactions within the last week, and now all of a sudden I have to verify my details.

Message 47 of 50
Latest reply

@9797julie wrote:

It just sounds SO dodgy!!! We are told not to share bank account details with anyone ... eBay is no exception. You need to find another way, eBay I just don't feel comfortable with it - especially, when I've had multiple transactions within the last week, and now all of a sudden I have to verify my details.

eBay is bound by Australian Government regulations to prove the identity of it's sellers by getting both bank and identity details - that's a simple fact.

Unless you provide those details any money from your sales will be held by eBay until you do so.

Message 48 of 50
Latest reply

Did you not check T & C before listing.  Suggest you do before you sell anything more.  There is an automatic 30 day hold on funds for infrequent sellers anyway so no money will come your way straight away

Message 49 of 50
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Did you not check T & C before listing.  Suggest you do before you sell anything more.  There is an automatic 30 day hold on funds for infrequent sellers anyway so no money will come your way straight away

Agreed Daydreams, with between 1 and 2 grand on the line those i's need to be dotted and the t's crossed.

I see heartache comin' on..................

Message 50 of 50
Latest reply