Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

4*sale
Community Member

As eBay sellers you've all received the "Getting paid on eBay has changed" email from ebay and tried to set up payment through Payout settings. To create payment account you need to ad your bank, eBay asked  meto use my customer ID and password. My question here is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@4*sale wrote:

Apparently I'm the only one who received this email as no one has responded to my question yet or confirmed it. Please share your experience if you received the same email.

Thanks a lot!

No, you're not - the forum already has multiple threads from people who were asked to go through this verification process and / or posted concerns with logging in to their bank account via eBay.

The answers are the same regardless of whether it's from someone who did or did not have to do it - if you proceed, change your password after the account is verified, and eliminate whatever the risk may have been (perceived or otherwise). 

If the bypass is still there, try that if preferred (if there is an option to select that your bank account is not listed, some have bypassed this requirement by choosing that, and instead being required to upload a statement that shows the necessary info). 

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Many others have done so safely, just remember as soon as they verify your account to change your password.

Good luck with it all

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply, please elaborate.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Many others have done so safely, just remember as soon as they verify your account to change your password.

Good luck with it all

Maybe I,m reading the OP's question wrong, but its ringing major scam alarm bells for me. Ebay DO ask for a recent copy of a bank statement showing account number and name of account ( under 3 months old ) BUT THEY DONT ASK FOR YOUR BANK PASSWORD !!!

I've done 3 managed payment regos and have never been asked for my bank password and wouldnt give it to them if they did ask. Can the OP please confirm it is the bank password and not ebay id password they have been asked for. If its coming from an email and is not in your ebay messages it is almost certainly a scam.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

I did my first one last year with a bank statement. Recently did a second using an online login which uses your internet login for you bank to verify your bank account. Not sure what company it was but was similar to a POLi payment which is owned by Aust Post and I have used that for nearly 9 years.

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

It doesn't seem to be a scam as I did this within the official Au ebay site. I went to my ebay > seller Hub > Payment > Payout settings
Set up your payout method > add a bank account. In the "Link a bank account" tab I see my bank amoung 9 banks, I click on my bank then this box came up to ask me to insert the inquestion sensitive details. That is what scares me. I have screen shots I can upload if I can

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

I found it to be a safe way to get my account verified but then I drive on the freeway during peak hour when all the tradies are heading home in their large utes changing lanes faster than I can bare to watch.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

I also was required to use that method of registration.

As kat said, I just changed my password as soon as I was verified. My 2nd MP ID didn't require it, but that is presumably because eBay already had 'access' through the 1st.

It's been several months, the payments come through on time and the only person withdrawing from the account is me.

I believe the registration procedure was different last year, but this seems to be the way eBay have recently chosen.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Please find the screenshot in this link:

https://i.postimg.cc/dQpS3WFW/link-a-bank-account-4.png

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

Please find the screenshot in this link:

https://i.postimg.cc/dQpS3WFW/link-a-bank-account-4.png

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply