Is this a scam? Potentially fradulent ebay buyer.

lcoyke90
Community Member

Hello guys,

I have a motherboard up for auction, and just got an e-mail from someone offering to complete the transaction outside Ebay. They asked if I would take $30 just to get rid of it. I called Ebay regarding this situation, as I didn't know what to do. They told me to ask the "potentail buyer" to bid $30 and have me end the auction early. I told them to do this, and they responded by saying......

"If I bid itll be higher then $30 with shipping. Can you just text me your payment email and Ill send the $30 to you?" and they gave me their number. I cheked this persons feedback, it looks really good. They seem like a reputable seller/buyer. I'm not sure what to do here. Does this seem like a scam? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think it is a scam.

But the buyer probably thinks the item will go higher than 30 with postage.

I would tell the buyer that to be fair to the other bidder and those watching the auction you would prefer to let it run it's course.

He can still bid 23 and the total will be under 30.

Besides someone asking to sell outside eBay is a good chance to be a problem buyer.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I personally would just let the auction run its course.  What was your starting price and how much postage have you listed.  It will be an off ebay transaction if they just send you money with no connection to the item no.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The starting price was $16, and I already have a bidder. Shipping is $6.61. If I cancel the auction it wouldn't be fair to them either. The potential "scammer" wants to complete the transaction via Paypal and asked for my e-mail adress. Should I report them?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If the buyer has good feedback they are already experienced ebayers, and yes, they are doing the wrong thing.

Just reply you want to continue with the auction.

Probably i wouldn't bother about reporting them, ebay never do anything about it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

It's not necessarily a scammer, just someone who wants the item without waiting / getting into a bidding war.

"... just got an e-mail from someone offering to complete the transaction outside Ebay". I wouldn't - eBay take off-eBay sales pretty seriously; you're effectively circumventing their fee system. Tell the guy to put in a bid, or stop bothering you.

My own view is that it's not terribly ethical to sell to someone if you already have a bidder on the item, but I guess that's just me...

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I don't think it is a scam.

But the buyer probably thinks the item will go higher than 30 with postage.

I would tell the buyer that to be fair to the other bidder and those watching the auction you would prefer to let it run it's course.

He can still bid 23 and the total will be under 30.

Besides someone asking to sell outside eBay is a good chance to be a problem buyer.

image host
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply