Item Sold and paid for but Not postage

Sold an Item and the buyer paid immediatly (which is great) but they failed to pay for postage, and have gone dark and not responded in any way to my messages. So i am left sitting here with money for an item that i cannot post and that the buyer has made no attempt to come collect.

Have been thinking about cutting my losses and returning the money and cancelling the order, or should i hold out in the hope the buyer will eventually get in contact.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I don't understand, how could they not have paid for postage?

Did you have a postage cost in the Postage and Handling section of the listing?

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I just checked one of your listings.

Under postage it said "calculate", but when put in my post code it said it was invalid. I tried a few other post codes but they were also invalid.

Some of your items show a postage cost, some say calculate.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I also checked your listings and found the same as cushioncovers ie. some say postage not specified & the calculator won't accept my postcode either Smiley Surprised other listings have a postage price showing.  The calculator may not work if you haven't shown the size and weight of the package ? I'm not 100% sure about that, as I've only ever used the calculator for International Postage, but I guess it's the same for domestic.

Depending how long since the buyer paid, I would probably wait a couple of days, but send a polite message each day enquiring when they intend Picking Up.  Some buyers, particularly very casual ones, don't log in & check their eBay regularly.  I'm saying this from experiences I've had on another ID hubby & I use to sell bits n pieces from around the house/garage. If you haven't heard anything within 5 -7 days, I would (for the record) contact eBay, request they check your messages to the buyer & the lack of response and confirm with them that a refund is the appropriate action, that way you're covered if the buyer suddenly decides to become vocal or leaves a negative feedback - I think in such circumstances eBay would remove it.

Digressing a little, and having said that, among other bulky things, I have sold a few sets of car tail lights & interior trims etc, and I always list them as Pick Up only.  That way, if someone really wants them & can't PU,  they message first and ask if I will post, which enables me to get a precise quote for posting to their specific postcode as the rates vary from postcode to postcode and I always include SOD & insurance and use extra packaging and box if possible for added protection.  If they accept the quote I then ask them to wait until I have issued a manual invoice.

My experiences in this area are pretty limited, so hopefully a seller with more expertise will pop by and have more to add

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I just had a look at some of your ads & I am a bit worried for you.

If an item is big & heavy & breakable, don't hesitate, just list it as pick up only.

If someone then contacts you about possibly posting it, you can discuss exact postage costs.

But if they try paying without including postage, all you have to write to them is-when would you like to pick up your item? And give them a choice of 2 or 3 suitable time slots.

If they don't pick up, the onus is on them & ebay can't blame you in any way.

But I see you are listing a lot of items at $10.40 postage.Some of these things look like tail lights. I am no expert on car stuff, that's for certain, but surely they would be fragile? They're expensive items, you may be better charging more postage so you have tracking and items in well padded boxes.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

just regarding the last part of your post springy - i think it may be just because you are in close proximity to the OP i imagine or same state at least? 

for me - those listings with postage costs listed are calculated based on location and for me (in WA) most are between $40 and $70 postage.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I sell quite a few car parts and usually send them in either 3 or 5 kg. satchels. The tail lights travel OK if they are bubble wrapped and then cased in heavy cardboard with the ends folded to make a box type structure. If this does not fit in a 5 kg. satchel I carton them up and charge around $35-$40 anywhere in Australia. This usually covers most places and if the worst happens, you can send a pair of tail lights seperately in two 5 kg. satchels for the same cost.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you all, some great feedback

Yes i have had problems since the new eBay selling format came in, it now seems none of my post calculators work.

Its been over a week since the buyer purchased the item and i have tried to make contact a few times, too no avail.

I guess i shall try one last time and then make contact with eBay about cancelling the order.

Thank you again, this IS one great community

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

just regarding the last part of your post springy - i think it may be just because you are in close proximity to the OP i imagine or same state at least? 

for me - those listings with postage costs listed are calculated based on location and for me (in WA) most are between $40 and $70 postage.

I had not realised they showed variable postage. You are right, I'm in the same state as the seller but about 40-50km across town.

I would still have thought $10.40 was too low a price for a big satchel but have to admit it has been a while since I sold so not 100% sure.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I think it's $9.95 via AP (over 500g) within 50km regardless of zones so that may be ok.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply