Item broke then was sold, now buyer is getting nasty because I won't sell him the broken item!

Some cookware I had listed was broken this morning before the auction ended. I tried to end it early but eBay wouldn't allow it. I have only just found out I should have cancelled the bids. I wasn't aware of that at the time. I notified the winning bidder as soon as the auction ended and apologised. I explained it had been broken prior to the auction ending and that I was extremely sorry for the worry. He then tried to buy the items anyway. I kept explaining why I won't sell them if they are broken. He threatened me with eBay. I have contacted eBay anyway. I tried to cancel the transaction but he is being unreasonable and will not agree to cancel it. I won't sell broken or faulty good as I've done that before with the buyers consent and they filed a chargeback against me and left me negative feedback AFTER they said they wanted the goods anyway. The handles broke off 2 of the pans, and yes they may be glued, but that is a safety hazard as they aren't as strong anymore. I would feel responsible if something happened to him or anyone else using the broken pans. I have explained this to him yet he is getting rather nasty anyway. What do I do?
Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Item broke then was sold, now buyer is getting nasty because I won't sell him the broken item!

All too frequently sellers tell winning bidders that the item has been lost, stolen or broken before the end of the auction when they have just changed their mind about selling so you cannot blame your buyer for not believing you unless you sent them a picture of the damaged items, even then they would almost certainly not agree to a cancellation as they would think you deserved to lose out on the fvfs for not taking better care. Also it is not their fault that you failed to read up properly on how to sell so you did not know to cancel the bids.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

PJ I agree with what you say in the first two lines of your response.

But don't you think that the next two lines are a tad over the top??!!

OP has a FB of 35, so may not be aware of the cancelling bids process.  Not everyone has the time, or skills, to negotiate the site to find out things that you know like the back of your hand.  

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

If your buyer is adamant that they want the items, perhaps try to negotiate a new transaction, where you list them at BIN (buy it now) for the price they won the items for, but with updated images and revised description to show the new condition. 

The buyer will get what they want, you'll get money for something that would - presumably - have to remain unsold, if not thrown away, and the official pics / description will hep prevent the scenario of a INAD claim or chargeback. 

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

PJ I agree with what you say in the first two lines of your response.

But don't you think that the next two lines are a tad over the top??!!

OP has a FB of 35, so may not be aware of the cancelling bids process.  Not everyone has the time, or skills, to negotiate the site to find out things that you know like the back of your hand.  

Just telling it how it is, how many times are buyers told on these boards to refuse a mutual cancellation because the seller deserves to lose out on a fee refund, also everyone signs to say they have read the policies, terms and conditions and there is a wealth of advice on selling out there so there really is no excuse for not knowing something as basic as how, when and why bids should be cancelled.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

........ yawn!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. This discussion is getting a little heated and meandering off-topic. Could we please communicate with a more civil tone. Thanks!

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I don't think your allowed to send broken stuff with AusPost either. Basically being forced to make the sale you would be violating their terms.

Unfortunately there will be people that abuse the system.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

A consistant policy that explains everything would be good.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

It's not the buyers fault if they buy an item listed as in good condition, then get told after they win it, it is now broken. The problem here was of the sellers making.

As someone else suggested, send the buyer photos of the broken cookware, so they can see it really is broken. Then they may agree to a cancellation.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply