Item paid for after a cancel order request sent

Here is the situation:  Buyer placed 2 orders and only paid for 1, so I sent 2 notes saying if I don't hear back, I will cancel the unpaid order.  I didn't hear back and cancelled it.  After that the buyer purchased the same item again and still didn't pay straight away.  But the next morning, he paid the order that I put the cancel request on.  I don't appear to be able to reverse the cancel request on it.  Am I safe to post the goods, or will ebay automatically cancel the order and refund the money, after the 10 days?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The reply received from the eBay Help Desk:

Normally, once you hit cancel order button, we can no longer reverse it. However if the cancellation was done first before the buyer paid, the transaction will not be refunded. This is just a general information and we would like to look into further. Please reply to this email and provide us the item numbers and the buyer's user ID involve. Once we have a specific information, we can then provide you an accurate resolution.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Refund the buyer the money paid for the cancelled order and advise he needs to pay for the item that isn't cancelled. Not sure how he paid for the cancelled order, once the Unpaid Item dispute is closed I didn't think the buyer could pay.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

He paid only the day after I put cancel request in, so was not closed. There is no option anywhere or in any of the drop boxes for me to refund and just get him to pay on the open purchase.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

That is another reason why it is better to open a non-paying buyer case instead of a cancellation.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

But he did buy and pay for 1 item, just not the second item, so don't want to be rude to a paying customer. Can anyone answer my original question please?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

If your items are "Buy It Now", how was he able to not pay for the second item?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

If immediate payment is not required, then items can be bought and not paid for.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@needsome12vbasics wrote:
But he did buy and pay for 1 item, just not the second item, so don't want to be rude to a paying customer. Can anyone answer my original question please?

Has he messaged you back yet?

As justkidzbiz said, it might be a good idea to go into PayPal, find the would-be-cancelled item that he did end up paying for and refund that. Then send a message explaining what and why you did it and that he's all good to pay for the currently unpaid one.

That's one way of doing it but if he did pay then you are probably fine. The dispute has probably been closed by the payment itself. I can't find any information about what happens if they pay after a cancellation has been opened.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

While I have had buyers pay for items after a cancellation was finalised, I haven't had any pay while a cancellation was still pending, but I know of a few other sellers who have, and the buyers were not refunded in their cases. I know this only amounts to anecdotal evidence from other sellers, but so far, and as far as I know, no buyer has been refunded by a cancellation being finalised if the cancellation was initiated prior to payment, and finalised after. (When a cancellation is initiated prior to payment, the buyer receives an email that asks them to confirm the item wasn't paid for, so all they can do now is either confirm or deny that, neither action - again as far as I know - can automatically trigger a refund). 

Plus, I tend to think that if a refund was automated upon cancellation, it would be a known issue by now (as in, documented in various places, like on a blog such as eCommercebytes, posts on eBay forums in various countries, etc). 

If you are still concerned, advise the buyer instead that you can't post until the cancellation is finalised, either by it timing out (after 10 days) or them confirming the info they need to with eBay - you want them to respond and particpate in this instance, so provide a date by which they need to reply, and a timeframe to do so with which action you'll take if no response is received by that date (eg all other paid items will be posted as normal, and the one with a pending cancellation will be refunded). 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Ah ok, if he paid for the item whilst the cancellation was still pending,mthe. You are fine to send the items.

email the buyer and ask them, that since they paid for the item that you requested a cancellation on and then subsequently bought the same item again (ie purchasing 2 of the same items) do they want that same second item? If they reply no advise them you will open an Item Not Received Dispute simply in order to get your fees back. They don't need to do anything but it's simply so you can get your fees back. Don't mention they will get a strike or anything like that.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply