Item returned - "buyer" requesting refund outside of eBay - item was returns not accepted

Hi - This is a new one for me and I don't know what to do, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently sold a vintage camera which was working as far as I could test it because it was missing the xD Card ( a format prior to SD). The lens opened, the zoom worked, the flash worked. The LCD was clear and bright. It was clean and tidy and it was known to be working before it was stored a few years ago (it belonged to a family member). All this was in my item description. The camera was carefully packed.

The sale was "No returns accepted."

A few days after it was delivered I get an email via eBay - with a warning from eBay saying it's not from the person who bought the item.

Assuming it was some kind of scam, I didn't reply.

Today I received the item back, with a letter claiming it didn't work, and the lens - which pops out when the camera is turned on - is now stuck in the out position. And the camera is not powering on - the LCD is blank and the zoom doesn't work, nor does the flash. When I tested it - multiple times - prior to sale, the lens behaved exactly as it should.

The hand written letter appears to be from the person who bought the camera (according to the Order info), and they wan't a full refund. The sender's address on the postage label is blacked out. 

The camera is definitely the one I sent (I can tell from a few marks) - and now it doesn't work at all. I wonder if it had been scavenged for parts as it kind of feels lighter than I remember.  

It seems odd that the buyer has not gone through eBay. 

I don't want to lose my 100% rating, but I find it hard to believe the camera was faulty.

What to do???

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Item returned - "buyer" requesting refund outside of eBay - item was returns not accep

compare the weight to the original sale.......buyer has not done the right thing....be very, very careful...what, if anything might be missing?

They have not lodged a complaint??? Just done their own thing??

Alarm bells.....

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Re: Item returned - "buyer" requesting refund outside of eBay - item was returns not accep

If they haven't opened a dispute through eBay, which seems to be the case as they paid for return postage themselves, there is nothing you need to do.

Depending on timeframes. They have 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to open a dispute. If they are out of time, all they can do (if they still have time) is give you a negative.

Personally, I don't sell for dots on a screen. I sell for money. And I certainly don't refund shonks in order to not get a red dot. Even if you refunded, there is no guarantee they wouldn't leave you a neg.

Block them and don't enter into any further correspondence.

As twyn mentioned - did you weigh the camera before you sent it? If not, it is prudent that you do so for further sales.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yes ... and it's even more odd:  I've just checked and the buyer has only been a member since 21 November 2023 - which was the date of the sale -  and has only bought my item, no other activity. 

They've given me their email and their pay ID (a mobile phone number).

I had to sign for the package.

I'm inclined to do nothing. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

FYI - 'No returns' is for change of mind only.

They have not returned it in the same condition they received it.  Your photos show the lens both in and out.   But now it's stuck in the out position.

They haven't opened a return request, and as said 'have done their own thing'

I'm with Dave....block and ignore.

Ebay's policy regarding condition of returned items in case you need to know -

Condition of returned items policy | eBay

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Something very strange is going on here.

The sale was on 21/11 was to a user new on that same date.

The email dated 24/11 - which eBay warned was not from the buyer -  was from a new user on 24/11. 

It's very puzzling.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses. ๐Ÿ™

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

nothing much adds up......ignore.....go about your life.....see what happens

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

As the others have said, block the buyer and have no more contact with them. I would also block the other account that sent the message that ebay said wasn't the buyer. It is more than likely another account of theirs, which they could use to revenge buy with the intention of giving negative feedback.

Just be aware that even after blocking the buyer, they can still contact you for 60 days after the sale. After that, they can't. If any more messages get sent, just ignore them. 

If they do neg you, it's not the end of the world. As Dave said, we sell for money, not coloured dots on a screen. A seller having a negative has never been a turn off for me. Heck, look at how many the Chinese sellers have and people still buy! If they do leave one, come back here and ask before doing anything because there are a number of reasons it can be removed. If it doesn't fall into one of those categories, then leaving a polite, factual reply is the only way to go then. Most buyers will look at a reply rather than the actual feedback before they decide to buy.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply