Items constantly removed due to 'counterfeit' policy

the-techno-bimbo
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm beside myself with frustration with eBay constantly removing my vintage LV bags/wallets as counterfeits when they are not counterfeit.

Every item has a date stamp code, which I've clearly photographed and posted. Many of these bags were purchased overseas - from either LV shops or authorised vintage shops - between 1998 - 2008 when I was working in aviation. A few have been purchased on eBay from other sellers who claim their LV items are checked by an authenticator. Obviously I no longer have the receipts, but almost all listings in this category don't have receipts for vintage items, or indeed any items.

After two hours of being transferred from department to department and speaking to six different people, I've basically been told that eBay's policy is 'guilty until proven innocent'. One support person sent me a link for authentication of my products, but it was only for coins, stamps and trading cards. Basically, it appears eBay can accuse me of fraud - my account has been suspended for three days - but not supply any means by which I can prove I am not selling fakes.

I have found an authenticator online for LV bags, and at my own expense of $38 per item, I now have to get each bag 'authenticated' despite hundreds of other sellers selling the exact same item without. 

I'm feeling totally persecuted - is there anything I can do?  I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Bags and items like these are a giant magnet for scammers.

There are stories on the forums where people have sold genuine items, and then the buyer claims it's not. Ebay always sides with the buyer and the seller always loses.

I just don't think this platform is worth it for the potential losses you can incur on such items.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for your advice.

Do you know of a more appropriate place to sell these sort of items? I'm downsizing and have a lot of handbags and shoes.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

You could try Etsy for any items that are either vintage or at least 20 years old. 

There are some specific platforms for selling clothes, like Poshmark.

You might want to google search for the best ones - I've only heard of Poshmark (they recently expanded to Australia), but I'm sure there are others.

However, this does not mean you won't get scammed, especially on high priced items.

Another option might be for your local FB marketplace.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Personally I think is a great policy from Ebay,  if it stops just one person from been scammed I give them 10 Gold stamps.   Pay the $38 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply