Just got my first negative feedback, false claim of "fake goods"...

Absolutely furious... Buyer has just given me negative feedback, and is demanding a return on an item purchased a week or so back.

He's claiming that the goods are not as described, and has left negative feedbaclk claiming that the item is fake.

For the record, our company was the sole Australian distributor for this particular item, but we lost the distributorshop last year, and we're using the eBay account to run out remaining stock. The item is 100% genuine.

So - will I get any help from eBay, or will they automatically side with the shonk?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

So, I guess that'll be a "no", then?

eBay report.jpg

Lovely...

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

Absolutely furious... Buyer has just given me negative feedback, and is demanding a return on an item purchased a week or so back.

He's claiming that the goods are not as described, and has left negative feedbaclk claiming that the item is fake.

For the record, our company was the sole Australian distributor for this particular item, but we lost the distributorshop last year, and we're using the eBay account to run out remaining stock. The item is 100% genuine.

So - will I get any help from eBay, or will they automatically side with the shonk?

Is the claim via ebay messages or has he opened a formal return case against you?

If it's a formal case, Is the case via ebay or paypal?

What is the feedback track record of the buyer like? ie feedback left for others? Any indications of similar problems with other sellers?

Once a buyer claims not as described ebay/paypal notoriousy side with the buyer unfortunately.

You will not have too many options:

1). 100% refund the buyer and they get to keep the item

2). offer the buyer a partial refund and they get to keep the item

3). accept the return and when you receive the item back in its original condition issue a full refund to the buyer. You will also be required to pay for the return postage of the item in this case. So if its worth it to get it back then you will need to go this way. The buyer is required to send the item back with full tracking.

If you have (or could get) some kind of certificate of authenticity of the item from the original manufacturer you could present that to ebay. Not too sure it will get you any joy but worth a try tho.

A couple of cautions about the item return...

If you suspect the buyer could try on some tricks during the return. ie not return the same item you sent (like send you back a fake item), or send back an empty box or something like this. When the package arrives back with you make sure you have a credible independent witness with you when you open it. Maybe even video the actual opening. That witness should be prepared to sign a stat dec to say what they observed when you opened the package. If anything like this should happen then its clearly a case of online fraud.

In this case you can raise a formal case with the federal police via The ACORN website. If you go this way notify both the buyer and ebay of the case reference number.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Did they really admit to yu in communications that they had changed there mind or is this what you have just put as a feedback comment.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Great gloves, just what I was looking for !!!!!!

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Slightly off topic, but I noticed you sent something to the ebay address and not the paypal one.  You ALWAYS need to check the address given in the paypal notification because that's the one you have to send to.  If you don't you'll end up with lots of grief.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Good advice. I had a sale last night and checked the sold email to see where the buyer lived. Same state, but up north a bit. A few minutes later he paid and when I checked the statement, it was same surname, different first name, in a different state. I would say it's either son buying something and sending it to dad's address or dad buying something for son and sending it to his address. If I'd sent it to the eBay address, I could understand if the buyer got really upset, because then he'd have to pay another lot of postage to send it interstate.

OP, as Rose said, ALWAYS send to the PayPal address because buyers will often change that. They might be going to visit family for a few weeks, so will change it to their address. They might get it sent to their work address because they don't want it left at their door when they're not home. They might want it sent to someone as a gift. They might want it sent to a parcel locker or parcel collect location. They don't need to change it in eBay everytime they change it in PayPal. EBay is their residential address, PayPal is where it gets sent to.

If that buyer had opened a not received dispute through PayPal, you would have lost because you didn't send it to the PayPal address, even if tracking showed as delivered.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

If it's an eBay claim and they requested a return, BEFORE you accept it, go to Help and Communication and request a call back. Explain that you are the Sole Distributor and the items are genuine. It may help in your favour.

Ive just had a buyer file Not as Described dispute, as it turns out it is buyer's remorse/change of mind. I accepted the request. Buyer didn't return item so rang eBay. Advised that I was not happy as the measurements of the item were listed correctly and I checked the measurements of the size buyer was claiming and my sizing is correct. EBay advised if I had' E contacted them before accepting the return they could have closed the dispute in my favour given the info I provided. Now it's too late and I have to accept the return, however they did tell me I don't have to refund the return postage or original postage. I paid for the return postage but buyer ignore this and used his own, so have cancelled the one initiated.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure things have moved on tippy.  These days the only way for buyers to change their address is in ebay checkout.  When it goes to the paypal screen you don't get an option to change the address... if you decide then that you want to send to a different address you have to cancel and go back to ebay checkout. Have a look next time you purchase something.

If the paypal address was different, would make the ebay labelling system a bit tricky and unworkable.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I think tippy was referring to changing your address in checkout, as that's the address that appears on the paypal notification. The ebay address appears on the Sold email, which is before they go through checkout. I think it was just the terminology she used.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply