LOCAL PICK UP ONLY - What does this mean??

I sold an item last night on ebay which was listed as local pick up only and again in the description I said local pick up only, will not post. I thought that the buyer had to arrange to pick the items up themselves at a time that suited both of us. Because this item is large and there is a tv that I do not have the packaging equipment for, also worried it will get damaged in freight and not being available to wait around for a courier, I listed it as local pick up only. The winning bidder wanted to organise a freight company to pick the item up and even offered for a freight company that packed  the item from my house. He did not contact me before bidding asking if this was ok. I am not available to be at home due to work for a freight company to pick item up and we both agreed to cancel the transaction. He has left bad feedback.

I thought local pick up only meant the buyer physically picking the item up themselves, unless they contacted me before placing a bid and I was happy to have a courier pick the item up. Obviously I was wrong, it has really left a bitter taste in my mouth about how rude and inconsiderate people can be on ebay 😞 Dont think I will ever sell on ebay again.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: LOCAL PICK UP ONLY - What does this mean??

No you are not wrong.

There are simply some dunderheads on ebay at times but mostly good sensible understanding members.

Don't let one noob spoil it for you.

You could contact ebay and explain buyer left false neg as the item was listed as pick up only so freight was not even offered.

Otherwise a good reply to the neg will make the buyer look like the fool he is. Smiley Wink

Doubt the neg will effect your buying or selling with a good factual reply.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I would be contacting eBay.

If they won't remove it, ask to speak to a supervisor. Be polite but firm.

It will affect toby's selling, kopes, come August.

A negative counts as a defect. A 5% defect rate will result in a selling account being suspended. Toby has nowhere near enough sales to absorb even one defect.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Agree totally and also add for the seller when you relist the item, maybe note that pick up times are to be outside working hours or weekends?!

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

A negative counts as a defect. A 5% defect rate will result in a selling account being suspended. Toby has nowhere near enough sales to absorb even one defect.

I thought it also had to be from at least 8 different buyers before it would affect your ability to list / sell?

Agree with the rest, though - an unjustified neg and I'd be trying to get it removed, too. 

If not, you can leave a follow-up comment to explain your side of things, just be sure to keep it calm and factual (i.e. no caps, no name calling etc), so that any future buyers can see how you handle issues. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I thought it also had to be from at least 8 different buyers before it would affect your ability to list / sell?

Agree with the rest, though - an unjustified neg and I'd be trying to get it removed, too. 

If not, you can leave a follow-up comment to explain your side of things, just be sure to keep it calm and factual (i.e. no caps, no name calling etc), so that any future buyers can see how you handle issues. 

You could be correct. Probably are, as usual. BUT we are talking about eBay and who knows what the program will actually be doing?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply