Local-pickup return obligations? Buyer asking for $100 bank transfer because item not as described.

Hello, I am not very experienced with ebay, and I have ended up with my first complaint, which is upsetting me a bit, as I really try to be as open and honest as possible. To me this sale wasn't about the money, but rather a sentimental item that had been in my family my entire life, that I hoped to go to a good home. I would like to get your perspective on this, what my obligations are, and what I should do?

I recently listed a chest of drawers for $80, which I didn't know much about at the time (I am currently trying to clear out an entire house asap). I put up 3 pictures, and described it as I saw it, as "Really nice, solid antique set of drawers. In excellent condition." I was surprised that there was a lot of interest in the drawers. I realized late towards the end of the auction that they are in fact quite antique (19th century) and I found a receipt for their purchase from 1982 for $400. However, it was too late to modify the ad or remove it. In end they were sold for $417, and were Local-pickup only.

The buyer came (two people) to pickup the drawers and paid in cash, and took them home. A few days later they have sent me a message to say that they are not happy with the drawers, and they are not in great condition and there a several issues with them, and if they had known they would not have completed the transaction, but they say that if I transfer $100 to their bank account, they will hold onto the drawers. The thing that particularly annoys me about this is that this buyer sent me a message a few hours before the end of the sale asking about the wood, where I told them that I recently found out it is cedar and I have a receipt for their sale for $400 in 1982 (which I showed when they picked them up). They are the only buyer to have known this, as I couldn't modify the ad anymore (I tried). These drawers are likely more valuable than what they got them for, and they are now asking for me send them money.

Questions:

(1) What are my obligations as the seller for local pickup returns? They were able to inspect the item when they picked it up. Do I still have an obligation?

(2) If I say that I will give them a complete refund, whose obligation is it to return the item?

(3) Are they allowed to ask for compensation by means of a bank transfer? And why $100? It is not my fault where they live.

(4) Is there a specific rule for what the definition conditions listed in ads? E.g. Does "excellent" condition imply something in particular? I used the term perhaps loosely, but I still think the drawers are in very good condition (especially now considering their age).

There was no part where I tried to mislead them at all, but perhaps I should have been more careful - but I am in such a rush to clear stuff, and I didn't expect them to go for much, that I thought that people would inspect them when they come anyway. These drawers are quite sentimental to me, and I didn't want to part with them, and now thinking perhaps it is a sign I should try and hold onto to them (not sure where they will fit though...). Thank you for your help!

Cheers, Steve

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Local-pickup return obligations? Buyer asking for $100 bank transfer because item not as described.

Because they paid by cash at the time of pickup they have no buyer protection.
You are not obligated to do anything at all.
What you do is entirely up to you.
They had the opportunity to inspect the drawers and be happy before they paid.
They will not be able to open any formal case against you.
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

1. Pick up items, buyer inspects and pays. They should have inspected more thoroughly. Up to you but personally depending on their attitude, would determine if I gave them a part refund out of good spirits. Not obligated.

2. Like any store, buyer returns for refund.

3. Yes, but purely up to you, you are not obligated.

4. There are, open a new listing and change the conditions to see what each gives as a definition.

Excellent being used for an antique would mean almost faultless and perhaps good for it's age would have been more appropriate.

If you prefer to keep them perhaps offer to pick them up for a full refund.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I agree with all of the above - do bear in mind, however, that they may leave neutral or negative feedback for you. If / when they do, contact eBay Customer Support; depending on the feedback, you may be able to get it removed, especially if eBay sees the message requesting the extra $100...

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

IMO  Give them nothing and ignore them.

I reckon they're antique furniture sellers, and knew exactly what those drawers were, when they saw them advertised.

They're preying on your good nature to get them $100 cheaper.

Don't do it.     They have no recourse via ebay.  You owe them nothing.

I thought $417 was waaaaaay too cheap in the first place.   If they had been

advertised as cedar, the price may have doubled.

And put them on your BBL so they can't buy anything else from you

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I very much agree they are in the know and trying to pull a fast one  Cat Mad

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you for the responses! Yeah, it sounds like I am under no obligation, and was a bit concerned that they might be just trying to take advantage. I think I will wait see what their response is, before I decide what to do. They said they would provide photos of the defects/issues if I wanted, and I have requested those before I make a decision.

Cheers!

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I thought $417 was waaaaaay too cheap in the first place.   If they had been

advertised as cedar, the price may have doubled.

I agree as well Stalks, and looky here....................same suburb, and apparently the same drawers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-CEDAR-CHEST-OF-DRAWERS-Australian-Colonial-Circa-1870-/2525408842...

Edit. Oooops, listed way before the OP's. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

There's no point in them supplying photos of defects.  To what end?

They have no buyer protection under ebay.

They should have inspected it before they paid and toddled off.

They want it cheaper.   They're furniture sellers and want to make a bigger profit.

Stop reading their messages and replying.

And look at the link Padi put up.   Same drawers - not yours, but that's the price.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

It always amuses me how something that is unfit for purpose suddenly becomes useful if a post-sale discount can be scammed elicited.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply