Lots of negativity and frustration from sellers

Hi fellow sellers,

Perhaps I'm a crazy, black sheep here on this forum but I'm generally happy with selling on Ebay.  Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not perfect but my experience has been pretty good.

I like Managed Payments.  Fees much of a muchness as before, but no insertion fees is saving me several hundred dollars a month.  Weekly payouts are like clockwork and make it easy to keep the accountant happy and the bank account reconciled.  Perhaps I've been lucky with the product I sell, but my sales have been strong and are growing.  And sure I'd love lower fees but I think the rates are reasonable.

If I didnt sell on Ebay, my alternatives are a retail store, my own site, Amazon or Facebook/Gumtree.  Facebook and Gumtree are fine if you want to manage a small number of listings manually and deal with 50 questions before each sale.  For selling at scale they are useless.  The mere fact I can't manage listings and orders via API rules them out.  A retail store would cost a bomb.  Amazon fees are higher and they lack the customer base.  And selling on my own online store would take years to get the volume and cost a fortune in marketing to get there

With ebay you get a ready made platform with a huge base of buyers.  And it lets you start small and grow without a huge upfront investment.  

Denis

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Good post, we don't hear about many positives on here, most of the time forums are for whinging, complaining or persons in need of help.  Australia Post closed their Community Forum last year during the pandemic as it was just a platform for customers to vent their spleen.

The important point to bare in mind of any platform is computerisation.  Without it mankind is doomed, but so often buyers and sellers here think there is a human behind every eBay transaction.  No, it's a piece of software and no point complaining here.

We migrated to 'Mangled Payments' at the eleventh hour, so all the bugs got ironed out thanks to the early adopting lemmings and thank you to them.  We too have experienced an easy migration and running well.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If a system works well for you and you don't run into any problems, than of course all is well and great and the going is good.

It's a bit like an Insurance Company; you won't know how good your insurance is, until you have to make a claim.

E-Bay is exactly like that; all is great until you need them; that's when you find out who you are really dealing with; how bizarre some of their policies are; that customer service has no idea about anything and you're well and truly on your own !

That's when people come to these boards (providing they know where they are); by then they are so pummeled and frustrated, they need to let off steam.

The lucky ones that can remain civil actually do get help here; if it weren't for these boards, I probably would have given up 10 years ago, but thanks to very knowledgeable people, I've managed to stay this long and if E-Bay still works in your favor, I'd say all the more power to you !

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Agree.  Happy with Managed Payments - haven't missed a beat!

Ebay has its ups & downs (as does every other business/site), but generally happy with the way things go & just have an extra drink or two when I get frustrated!!!

Happy Monday everybody.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

yay a positive person on these boards,  I think it's just a case of no one liking change.   My sales have stayed steady at 20 or 30 a week.   Fees roughly the same.  No issues with payouts.  Sure I had to validate myself,  but thats no different to what we did with Paypal,  or any other business providing a pay,ment system.   Just a heap of complainers.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply