Make offer

I am listing all my items as auction and always tick the "make an offer" box. A buyer tried to make an offer that was less than the starting price and was not able to do so. I checked with EBay and they said that it only applied to higher offers.Is that so ? Very confusing for buyers. Appreciate your comments on this. Regards, Patricia.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Make offer

@pats_treasures wrote:

I am listing all my items as auction and always tick the "make an offer" box. A buyer tried to make an offer that was less than the starting price and was not able to do so. I checked with EBay and they said that it only applied to higher offers.Is that so ? Very confusing for buyers. Appreciate your comments on this. Regards, Patricia.

When eBay first introduced offers on auctions, sellers had no control over whether it appeared, it was just added to any auction listings that eBay decided were "overpriced" and it was intended to allow buyers to buy at lower prices, so it was definitely implemented with the thought that buyers could offer less than the start price. (Which is actually counter-intuitive to the auction format and process, if you think about it). 

The way it works may have changed due to seller complaints, as I don't think most sellers are prepared to negotiate for lower prices on auctions, but if that's the case, they definitely need to update the screen that appears when you make an offer on an auction (I tried it out to see if it clarified anything on the screen, as you can see, it's telling buyers it's their chance to get the item for less).

order details.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

@curraone wrote:

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Offers on Auction Listings may be for less than the starting bid.

But someone buyer tried to make an offer for less to the OP and was not permitted by ebay.

I just made a 20 buck offer on an auction listing with a the starting bid being $50!...was submitted with no problem.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Make offer

I can't see any rule about it, but maybe ebay assumes your starting price would be the lowest amount you would accept, and therefore rejects any offer below.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

This has been discussed before and the conclusion was that offers on an auction are for amounts above the starting price, ie. they're designed so that buyers can make an offer that's good enough for you to consider cancelling the auction.

If a house is going to be auctioned and you can't attend the auction but you really want to buy it, the only way they'll cancel the auction is if you make an offer that's so good they know they'd be silly to refuse it. It's the same principle with ebay auctions so offers would have to be above the starting price.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

@pats_treasures wrote:

When eBay first introduced offers on auctions, sellers had no control over whether it appeared, it was just added to any auction listings that eBay decided were "overpriced" and it was intended to allow buyers to buy at lower prices, so it was definitely implemented with the thought that buyers could offer less than the start price. (Which is actually counter-intuitive to the auction format and process, if you think about it). 

The way it works may have changed due to seller complaints, as I don't think most sellers are prepared to negotiate for lower prices on auctions, but if that's the case, they definitely need to update the screen that appears when you make an offer on an auction (I tried it out to see if it clarified anything on the screen, as you can see, it's telling buyers it's their chance to get the item for less).

order details.PNG

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

Which defeats the whole purpose of an auction as I've only ever listed an auction at the minimum price that I

would accept.

Which is "supposed" to be why you have an auction in the first place,list low and hope for more,(not less).

eBay's interference is just so that the items sell regardless of what the seller wants as it's all about the buyers,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

Exactly spot on

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

But someone buyer tried to make an offer for less to the OP and was not permitted by ebay.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

@go-tazz wrote:

Which defeats the whole purpose of an auction as I've only ever listed an auction at the minimum price that I

would accept.

Which is "supposed" to be why you have an auction in the first place,list low and hope for more,(not less).

eBay's interference is just so that the items sell regardless of what the seller wants as it's all about the buyers,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

I agree with you...however I was simply stating that an offer for less than the staring bid can be made...any smart seller would of course ignore the offer & take the opportunity to vet the lowballer.

Even before eBay came up with this brilliant idea I have always received offers on auction listings...my reply was always that I am happy to let the auction run it's course & you are welcome to bid...not one ever placed a bid after failing in their lowball attempt.

These were offers much,much higher than the starting bid yet each auction ended at 30/50% more than the offers.

Having said that I confess to being a confirmed lowballer...some offers are even accepted...heavens I even ask the staff at Supermarkets...how much for cash?...I have a 100% failure rate...Man Frustrated 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Make offer

@curraone wrote:

I just made a 20 buck offer on an auction listing with a the starting bid being $50!...was submitted with no problem.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply