Managed Payments - Does ebay hold an Australian Financial Services license ?

Hi Everyone,

I have resisted managed payments because I have concerns over what happens if something with the payment goes awry especially since my experience with ebay customer service is that they are largely uncontactable.

I am also disappointed that there are zero savings for sellers switching to managed payments.

Currently Paypal hold an Australian Financial Services License 304962 and if there is a problem with the payment component of the transaction then the AFS steps in.

Are eBay AFS license holder ?

Cheers Jamie

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Managed Payments - Does ebay hold an Australian Financial Services license ?

Thank you for the correction

Reducing my operating costs

Increasing my bottom line

Message 21 of 44
Latest reply

Re: Managed Payments - Does ebay hold an Australian Financial Services license ?

A good starting point is their feedback

No transactions as a seller is a bit of a giveaway

Of course I only have 9000 so what would I know

Message 22 of 44
Latest reply

That not everyone uses their selling ID as their forum posting ID

But I don't have time to check member's transactions as a seller when I don't like their answers so what would I know 

Message 23 of 44
Latest reply

"so what would I know"

Not much apparently.

You are not aware that a member may have multiple accounts?

You are not aware of posting ID's?

You are not aware that people may have business interests apart from eBay?

Message 24 of 44
Latest reply

@toolman-online wrote:

Thank you for the correction

Reducing my operating costs

Increasing my bottom line

I dunno if my other post is invisible or what, but these two things aren't hard and fast rules, by which I mean B doesn't always follow A - sometimes reducing operating costs will result in reducing revenue. 

Did you know that PayPal have plans to charge extra for seller protection? That might be something to take into consideration when comparing the transition from PayPal to eBay for payments, as a business seller, I mean.

Message 25 of 44
Latest reply

@toolman-online wrote:

Unlike many of the people commenting on this thread including yourself I am actually a business and reducing my bottom line is the objective.

You know what they say when you assume.

Just looking at the sales that you have made on the account you are commenting on in this forum ,  over the last 2 weeks,  my eBay sales have outstripped yours by 4 to 1.   Of course you may have another account but I dont assume things like that.

And my eBay business is just a small secondary one to my main business,  but I guess I dont run a business so I would have no idea.

Message 26 of 44
Latest reply

I guess we are on different pages.

Amongst other items I sell a patented product of which I own the patent, trademark and and carry a large amount of stock.

You on the other hand seem to sell one offs and odds and ends. 

It appears to be a hobby more than a business.

Reducing my ebay fees means that I can sell my products at a cheaper price which in turn benefits buyers by offering lower final prices.

You may accept being forced into managed payments but I dont.

Cheers

Message 27 of 44
Latest reply

Have you actually done any research into managed payments,   I am guessing not, otherwise you would have known about adyen.

I was signed up to managed payments  in the first wave.   Despite all the predicted doom and gloom, I have not had a single negative issue and sales have boomed.

Message 28 of 44
Latest reply

@toolman-online wrote:

I guess we are on different pages.

Amongst other items I sell a patented product of which I own the patent, trademark and and carry a large amount of stock.

You on the other hand seem to sell one offs and odds and ends. 

I think you need to look up assume again.

Not sure where you get one offs, and odds and ends from,  interesting way you assume things,  I currently have over 1200 different items listed, and hold a large inventory locally.   Looking at yours it is more of a hobby then mine.

Have a nice day

Message 29 of 44
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Have you actually done any research into managed payments,   I am guessing not, otherwise you would have known about adyen.

I was signed up to managed payments  in the first wave.   Despite all the predicted doom and gloom, I have not had a single negative issue and sales have boomed.

I think the basis of the first question showed no research,  otherwise they would have known about the financial services license.

Managed payments is also far easier from the book keeping side, as you don't have multiple inputs,  a big saving in time.

My only problem with Managed Payments is that I wasnt in the first wave and had to wait a month or 2.  

The best thing eBay have done for a real business,  Paypal is good for those with a hobby

Message 30 of 44
Latest reply