Managed Payments are here to stay; Ah Well... take it or leave it.

I have read on this forum that E bay have set up the Managed Payments, (MP), system with “Adyen”, registered with the Australian Banking system; and, that’s why formal id has to be submitted to use MP due to government regulations.

Many Forum contributors are saying that we had to give Pay Pal the same ID Info’. Really? I didn't have to give pay pal any formal ID, such as passport or licence, etc. just my bank account details.

So, if eBay didn't use Adyen, and went back to old system with PayPal, we would be able to operate as before? Trouble is, MP is not as smooth a system as before for some, in particular the small private seller. And, looks like MP is here to Stay. Although it would be nice if private small sellers were offered an option somehow.
Seems that E bay is doing MP for their own benefit and not necessarily ours? Fair enough, it’s their business and their rules. Sellers can take it or leave it.
I've stopped selling some time ago because of MP.
Best wishes to all.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I had to provide DL number to Paypal, and confirm my address, a couple of years ago.

The same information I had to give eBay.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Hi,

That's interesting I didn't.

Signed up with both E Bay and Pay pal 2012.

Just linked bank account

Hmm.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

The requirements listed on the paypal site to identify yourself to setup an account, sometimes we have short memories.

Proof of name and date of birth

We’ll need one of:

• A current Australian or foreign driver’s licence or permit (both sides)*
  • An Australian passport
  • A current foreign/United Nations-issued passport
  • A current Australian proof of age card
  • A current national identity card
  • An Australian birth certificate
  • An Australian citizenship certificate
  • A citizenship certificate issued by a foreign government (if not in English, accompanied by an English translation prepared by an accredited translator)

The document must show your full name and date of birth, and these must match the information you provided when opening your PayPal account.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks

must have a short memory... don't remember it.

Have since changed the state i live in and address a number of times, drivers licence, and bank accounts.

If I did must have been only once.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I was a PayPal member for a couple of years before I was asked for ID - basically as soon as AUD$10k had been processed through my account, I was hit with the ID requirements. Before that, I did have to verify my account through linking cards / bank account and proving they were mine via small deposit amounts.

I had to provide a scan of the front and back of my POA card as I don't have a driver's license or passport. A couple of years later, they wanted me to re-confirm details and I think I had to provide other supporting evidence, eg a bill in my name sent to my registered address etc. On another occasion they requested supplier names / invoices in relation to sales I made, rather than purchases.

The new legislation is from this year (from memory) and it did cause a spate of PayPal requesting ID from members who never have been before, and new members may need to provide it up front.

I had the same processes with Etsy, who also use Adyen to process payments, and Shopify, they did the same as PayPal - minor ID verification requirements to set up, as soon as I'd made $10k in sales, they froze my payments account and requested full scans of government-issued ID to unfreeze (both of these were also before the new legislation that eBay is adhering to). 

Re: ebay's motivations for shifting to handling payments themselves - it was inevitable, yes it serves their interests, but most financial decisions a business makes is to ultimately serve their own interests (altruism is an exceptionally rare trait in commerce, even the most charitable acts become fodder for image / public perception etc), so the motivations in and of themselves is not a criticism (to me), just an observation. 

The criticisms for the system (for me) come from how they have handled the problems that arose especially in relation to limited acceptable ID forms, allowing businesses to register under structures they weren't equipped to handle and taking weeks (months, I believe in some cases) to sort it out; while people's livelihoods were at stake. That some of these problems even arose is just mind-boggling, considering how much time they had to get the system set up and running smoothly. 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I only remember the small deposits for verfications with PayPal

I certainly don't believe I have ever given E Bay any formal id in the past when joining

Thanks

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@spudd57joe - If your transactions/sales were below a certain level, you probably didn't need to verify to Paypal. 

I had been selling casually on Ebay since 2003, but I had to verify myself around 2014 after I had opened my shop and surpassed a certain level of income in a short space of time.

Ebay is only catching up to other platforms such as Amazon and Etsy which are pretty strict. On those sites, you have to verify yourself BEFORE you can even open an account, and trust me, Amazon is no joke. Both of those sites already run Managed Payment systems. Amazon doesn't offer Paypal at all, and Etsy only offers Paypal to sellers who reside in certain countries (not including Australia).

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Had a chuckle this morning.

A scream emanated from the other room from hubby, who is a sometimes seller.

"Ebay have caught up with me and this Managed Payments carp"

Thought I'd help him walk through it.

First question - BSB number

Second question - bank account number

Done.      Thank you.  You're now on Managed Payments.

He got off lightly          imastawka_0-1624952887385.gif

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

😄

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply