Mandatory 30 day returns

Oh yeah, I forgot this new one (my items this week seemed to take three times as long to list, as I had to go through unchecking all these damn boxes)

Ebay sent me a note saying that I had to upgrade all of my auctions to 30 day returns, or they'd be taken down. Grudgingly I did this - but it struck me later: this 'returns' option is in regards to 'change of mind' reasons. They point out themselves that consumers are entitled to a refund under Australian law if the item is defective.  So why would they insist on a minimum 30 day return period on a return policy which is optional in the first place?

I suppose I could ask them, but I'm worn out talking to them lately, and getting sense out of them is usually like getting blood from a stone.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Mandatory 30 day returns

eBay's policies are geared towards giving the buyer the greatest possible sense of security, thus encouraging more purchases, hence increasing eBay's profits.

For many sellers, offering returns is not really possible - that is, for change of mind returns, since you're quite right; Return Policy on eBay is solely for change of mind returns. For such sellers, I'd say "Don't offer returns". Untick the option.

Read through this thread: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Returns-policy/m-p/2186749#M175605

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

Like many sellers. yhe 30 day return policy does my head in. I sell mainly books and as another seller stated we are not a lending library.
I am now in the process of making all my listings No Returns.
If there is a problem with what I have sold, I certainly will be told. I'll deal with that problem if/when it occurs.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

If you take away (untick) the returns option so you DO NOT accept returns then all you are saying is that you do not accept returns for any reason that amounts to a Change Of Mind (COM).

Under Australian Consumer Law (ACL) if there is something wrong with the item then the buyer has a legal right to request a return. The reason for such a return is INAD (Item Not As Described). In this case the ebay MBG (Money Back Guarantee) takes precedence over whatever your listing returns policy says.

If you have returns not accepted then ebay will not auto-accept a COM return, but you will still have an option to accept such a return if you wish. ie you can decline COM returns if your policy says no returns accepted.

But for INAD returns you do not have this option. You either have to accept it and pay the return postage by trackable means, OR fully refund the buyer with them keeping the item. If you choose to not provide either of these solutions then if the buyer escalates the INAD claim ebay will refund them from your money (they keep the item) and you will be given a seller defect.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

Ditto: most of my sales are either paper products (magazines, books) or media (CD, DVD). The former can be read in 30 days; the latter can be digitally copied, and I'm always wary of someone wanting a rare CD just to burn and then send back (considering I've sold some CD's for $1,000+ each, I certainly wouldn't want to have granted a return for change of mind, let alone after a month. Those particular CDs were actually available on Itunes, so I assume the buyer just wanted the physical items, but  there are still albums which aren't available to download)

But this is is an interesting point. Ebay's message was that my items with returns policies of under 30 days had to be upgraded to 30 days (when I talked to their rep on the phone he parroted some line about this "giving the customer a more authemntic retail experience" or some rubbish) - however, come to think of it, I don't think they ever stated that I had to have a returns policy at all.

So I might try just disabling it altogether rather than upgrading it to 30 days - see what happens.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

Definitely disable returns for your sort of products - read clarry's thread for a good explanation.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

@the4masters2013 wrote:
Like many sellers. yhe 30 day return policy does my head in. I sell mainly books and as another seller stated we are not a lending library.
I am now in the process of making all my listings No Returns.
If there is a problem with what I have sold, I certainly will be told. I'll deal with that problem if/when it occurs.

I got the same message, so instead of accepting 14 day returns, I just made all of my listings no returns.......... Simple.......I,m sick of jumping through ebay hoops. Hasnt affected sales, with one of my better days in a little while today.

Some may not be aware you can bulk edit your listings and make them all " no returns " or 30 days returns in a few minutes.

From memory, 1) click on active listings. All of your listings should come up.

2) Check the square box at the very top left of your active listings. All of your listings should now have a tick next 

to  them.

3) Click edit button

4) Select "returns" and follow the prompts for your desired return policy duration or uncheck the returns box to disable returns on your listings.

5) Click submit or confirm and wait.......... It can take up to a minute

You can only do 500 listings at a time, but the prompts show 1-500,  501-1000 etc.

It took me around ten minutes to edit 1800 listings on 3 id,s.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

Cheers; have just tried this. We'll see if I get a demand from ebay tomorrow.

NB I think this method only workls on the 'classic' site. Or more likely it works on the new version but I haven't bothered working out how, since I don't use it.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

I have had only 1 return in nearly 5 years of selling. The buyer made the mistake and so it was all good.
If there is a problem, I'll do the refund straight away.
The only problems I seem to get though, are buyers telling me the item hasn't turned up... refund given.
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Mandatory 30 day returns

I can't remember if I was told I had to upgrade to the 30 day returns. Like you, I sell CDs and vinyl (perhaps not on your level!). If I have misjudged something in the description, then I cop it sweet and do the refund (so far so good, no complaints!).
It just seems so time wasting to get something returned. If there is a problem with the item, why on earth would I want it back??
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply