May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

Well I was informed on all my selling IDs.

I do, admittedly, also check the announcements at least weekly. 😐

Message 211 of 303
Latest reply

It's a bit presumptuous to say 'All sellers were, I believe, emailed' just based on the fact that you were! I wasn't and I know other who were not.

Message 212 of 303
Latest reply

I also was never sent an email about the changes & I DO read all my mail. The only way I found out was reading these boards.

Message 213 of 303
Latest reply

well I received an email notification on all of my selling ID's even the ones that havent been used for a few months.

I would think, every serious seller who is using ebay regularly would read the ebay Announcements/ News link at least once a week.  How else would you keep up with any changes, same with PayPal announcements,  my online banking etc.  they all post News / Notifications links regularly, and as a use it is up to me to check on these things, surely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 214 of 303
Latest reply

Hi , Yes with the Australia Post rises this makes it hard to sell,

also if you reach power seller status you loose your free listing, so start thinking about a store,

Message 215 of 303
Latest reply

acrowsa
Community Member

Actually no according the ebay.

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/node/134

Q21. What are the changes for PowerSellers and registered businesses?

In response to feedback we received, all sellers, including PowerSellers and Registered Businesses, whether you have a Store Package or not, will now have access to at least 40 free insertion fees every month.

Message 216 of 303
Latest reply

From May 1 now a total of roughly 14% taken off the selling price (ebay and paypal combined). Ouitrageous!!! Please tell me of anywhere else that takes a total of 10% commission for doing very little.

They say they direct more traffic to your site, well what a load of rubbish, no proof there. And most of my items are below $20 as people want to pay nothing for quality items on ebay. First 40 items for FREE - wow - thanks for nothing. Try 100 for free then they might have some response.

I started selling on here about 1 year ago and though that 7.9% was criminal, now 9.9%? What a hide....It is greed, simple greed same as Australia Post.

Yes, they have shot themselves in the foot and time will tell.

I sell on another site that is free however EBAY have entered into this business and is making changes there too....so I am looking around and will take my business elsewhere.

Such a shame.....

Message 217 of 303
Latest reply

From May 1 now a total of roughly 14% taken off the selling price (ebay and paypal combined). Ouitrageous!!! Please tell me of anywhere else that takes a total of 10% commission for doing very little.

They say they direct more traffic to your site, well what a load of rubbish, no proof there. And most of my items are below $20 as people want to pay nothing for quality items on ebay. First 40 items for FREE - wow - thanks for nothing. Try 100 for free then they might have some response.

I started selling on here about 1 year ago and though that 7.9% was criminal, now 9.9%? What a hide....It is greed, simple greed same as Australia Post.

Yes, they have shot themselves in the foot and time will tell.

I sell on another site that is free however EBAY have entered into this business and is making changes there too....so I am looking around and will take my business elsewhere.

Such a shame.....

Any auction house. And they will take at least that from both the buyer and the seller.

You are free to list wherever you wish. Unfortunately eBay gets the traffic, thus the sales. I have more items listed, for less, on another free-to-list site. My annual sales there don't match my monthly sales here.

For me, I will downgrade to a basic store, my FVF will go down 0.4%, I will get 80 free listings. I reckon that puts me $35+ a month in front of the current situation.

Message 218 of 303
Latest reply

kips0000 wrote:

anywhere else
is just about every single auction house in Australia.  The majority take between 17 and 25% from the Seller and a Further 10 -15% from the Buyer

so just 9.9% plus paypal fees where applicable, is still comparatively cheap in the world of Australian Auctions.  (or European auctions for that matter, many of which, charge even more)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 219 of 303
Latest reply

@scruff1936   Big business havent thought like that in decades.

There thinking is like this. Charge twice the price get half the buyers , Then you can sack half your staff and reduce your over heads buy half meaning heaps more profit at half the work and half the headackes. And ebay think there a big business but in reality there only as big as there seller base which is dwindling. Cant wait till it all goes BLAHHHHHHH. hahahaha.

Message 220 of 303
Latest reply