My partner cannot list more than 100 items and PayPal withholds payments. We have no income!

Our Bricks & mortar bookshop is on the way out so I have recently started selling on eBay.  My partner signed up with eBay and started listing as well, but discovered that he can't list more than 100 items.  When he does sell items, PayPal will not release the money for at least two weeks, which makes it difficult to actually pay postage with no income.  I think this is totally unfair.  We cannot apply for Centrelink payments until our business is totally closed.  What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

My partner cannot list more than 100 items and PayPal withholds payments. We have no income!

only a thought? but if he sells under your user id, with that amount of positive feedback, he may not have these restrictions?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

That is, and has been for quite a while, standard procedure for new sellers. Using eBay postage defers the payment of postage until the next eBay bill is due, so that could be an option, especially early in the billing month when he can be confident the payment will be released before the bill is due.

It's normally 10, so he's already ahead of the game (possibly he linked to your account? I know when I opened my non-store account I linked to my store account and got 100. Over the years it has increased to 2250 without me asking, but it seems to depend on you SELLING a fair percentage of listed items before an automatic increase happens). Once he gets a track record of exemplary service the Paypal holds will disappear and he can apply for more listings.

You could always put the excess on your account, especially now with effectively unlimited listings available, to tide him over.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Well I can list 10,800 items or $180,000 per month. I can absolutely assure you neither will be happening 😂

The restrictions for new sellers is one of their rules I actually agree with. It would be nice to see the same protection and concern extended to sellers, but oops I'm having a whine again. Nonetheless I do believe it is essential for new sellers to have to prove themselves.

Is he listing books dirt cheap to get a heap of quick sales up? I understand how frustrating it is, particularly with books where volume of listings is needed, but it's a process that we all had to go through

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Until your partner gets through his "apprenticeship" with ebay perhaps split the listings, some on your account and some on the new one.

This way he can keep the new account ticking over but might get some sales on yours- so some $'s flowing through.

Then once the account is standing on it's own two feet all listings can be put through it.

Or, as previously suggested use the one store for everything. Yours has history and loads of feedback so smooth sailing.

Sorry, but these are steps and a transition period that we all had to go through when first joined up and started selling.

Hang in there and work on getting more items on board.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

The quickest way of building up your limits quickly is to start off selling nothing but dead certain stone cold sellers, keep them coming as long as you can, and keep listing to the limit immediately each and every time a slot is available.

And don't be shy about asking for an increase as early and often as you're allowed to ask.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks lotsamagsnbags - we might have to consider that option 😕
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks davewil1965 ... shows you how long since I listed anything. I haven't been game to use the eBay postage - I always post an item on the same day (if possible) ... do they actually pick up from you or can you use eBay postage and take to the PO yourself?
Jenni
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

No he's listing DVDs and adding postage. I'm supposed to be listing the books but snuck in a few DVDs only to discover I'm actually paying the buyer to take one or two LOL. He has sold a few ...
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks glenbankloel - we'll keep the ball rolling.
Jenni
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply