Need advice RE buyer who won't pay.

Basically, I sold three items on the one day to a "buyer" who still hasn't paid. I sent a combined invoice with reduced postage on day 2. On day 6 I emailed her to ask if she still wanted the items, or wished to cancel. She replied that she intended to wait to see if I listed anything else worthwhile. (My listing said I was clearing items out my music cupboard). She obviously didn't plan to pay any time soon. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find out what else she wanted. After no further contact I opened three NPB cases (Days 9, 12, 12), emailing her each time that she could still pay or cancel, and waited the four days. It's now day 17. Here's my problem - the buyer has contacted me in the last 24 hours, just as the four days was up, cranky that I've opened the cases. She still hasn't paid - claiming that the invoice doesn't show combined postage - which it does. Based on her feedback left for others she did a similar thing before and left a poor seller with three negatives. Should I just close the cases and wash my hands of her? Or have I done something wrong.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Need advice RE buyer who won't pay.

Done 🙂

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

...and thank you for all the advice 🙂

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Hey, the first one is always the hardest, especially if you are a decent person yourself who doesn't want to upset anyone. I seem to have the opposite 'problem' with buyers. They'll bid on a few things, finishing several days apart, then pay as they win each item. By rights I should post each one separately, but I send large letter so don't have any protection anyway.

If I can get to them in time, I send them a message as soon as they have won their first item and tell them not to pay until they have finished buying. Whilever I can see they are still bidding, they can take as long as they need (within reason of course!).

If I'm interested in quite a few of a sellers items,  I always ask if I can pay after I have finished buying. No-one has ever said no. If it's an overseas seller I normally pay every 2 weeks so there is time for everything to arrive before the PayPal cut off.

I do get NPB's, but thankfully, they are few and far between. One thing I am in the habit of doing is ALWAYS checking a bidders feedback, both feedback left for them and feedback left for others. The feedback left for others can tell you a lot about a person. There are instances when they bid at the last second so you can't check until they have bought, but most bid in advance. Doing that has saved me a lot of potential heartache.

Do you have buyer requirement blocks in place to stop non payers from buying from you? http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, I do have all the possible blocks in place.

And you are right - the feedback left for others is often more informative. I don't think that many buyers realise that when they dash off a retaliatory neg it reveals how they treated a seller. Both the comment (and the seller's reply to it) go a long way to revealing the truth of a transaction.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

The fact that your hands were shaking simply shows that you are a nice person, but do you think your non-paying buyer's hands were shaking when she left those 3 negs for her previous seller? Somehow I think not.
Message 15 of 15
Latest reply