Need assistance on changing incorrect listing

gouch01
Community Member

Hello all,

I am in a situation I'm not sure how to correct. I placed an auction for a camera lens, and someone has put in a bid, but I only just realised the description is actually misleading.  

I used a template for the ad, but didn't notice the mistake until now.  I can't change it to reflect the correct item as Ebay said it's too close to the finishing time.   I have just now contacted the buyer to inform them of the mistake, so they can make an informed decision as to whether to continue with the bid, or retract it. 

I just don't want someone buying anything from me on the assumption it is what it actually isn't. I know I would be upset if it happened to me.

I also want to make sure nobody else bids on it based on the misleading title.  

Regards

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Need assistance on changing incorrect listing

No probs,i aint the brains trust around here but honestly I'd rather do that than worry about SNAD later.Very glad you saw the problem in the listing before it was too late to fix it.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I wonder why the reason for not being able to change the listing or at least  add in some text in the description explaining the error is not possible? 

A lot of people put in a maximum bid or set a snipe when they first see the listing so would not know about the revision and have the chance to withdraw their bid. It would almost certainly lead to a very unhappy buyer and probably neg feedback and rubbish stars.

I would definitely cancel the bid and end the auction, you could email the bidder to explain you are re listing with the revised description, anything else could lead to a not as described case.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@2011.narelle wrote:

I had to change something on a short time-frame on items with bids.I could only use the bulk editing tool thing which will add a note at the bottom of the listing.Well if people read things it's ok.

As Helen suggests you can end the listing with bids if it is i think 24hr before ending if auction.I have read that eBay may charge you for ending early with bids though.I guess it depends how much $ is on the line with the mistake.

Good luck.

I think they will let you end one listing with bids without hitting you with a fee, but after that they charge you. Even if you do get hit with a fee, it's a small price to pay to keep your feedback and defects intact.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, there was no charge for me ending this auction but I think I read if I did too many in a given period they would. Hopefully next time I'll proof read a little better to begin with!

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply