Negative feedback

I thought I would give selling ago. Was selling on Facebook alot. I follow the rules really packed well. Put everything in description correctly. I sold a coin. No where did it say comes with certificate. Buyer messages saying has none to send to him immediately. I said It didn't come with one. Did not say it did. But ill ask supplier him get straight back. He Leave a Negative with in minutes. I appeal it to Ebay they refuse to do anything. Is there an appeal process? I can't find a email contact for Ebay Was on live chat for nearly 3 hours just to ask how to dispute a new feedback. Thanks
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Negative feedback

@bilboh-62 wrote:
I thought I would give selling ago. Was selling on Facebook alot. I follow the rules really packed well. Put everything in description correctly. I sold a coin. No where did it say comes with certificate. Buyer messages saying has none to send to him immediately. I said It didn't come with one. Did not say it did. But ill ask supplier him get straight back. He Leave a Negative with in minutes. I appeal it to Ebay they refuse to do anything. Is there an appeal process? I can't find a email contact for Ebay Was on live chat for nearly 3 hours just to ask how to dispute a new feedback. Thanks

Facebook and ebay are very different selling sites.

On marketplace and other facebook selling sites, people can get away with over exaggerating how good something is etc. they can fail to mention faults and what have you, but most customers pick up so can decide on the spot whether to buy or not. In fact some customers promise to buy but never turn up. There isn't the same accountability.

Ebay is a whole different ball game.

I looked at your ad and it is true that nowhere did you say there was a certificate included. However, I noticed you used what i would call stock photos in your listing. They are the same photos most of the sellers of that item use. Boardies here can correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that if you were selling something as second hand, you were supposed to use your own photos. Using stock photos implies the item is new or as new/unused. Your price would also give a buyer that impression. When I did a search, I came up with a listing that is asking $135 (plus postage) for that coin, new, and the stock photos show a certificate as well.

You got $169.99 plus postage so the buyer would be expecting the entire package, as new.

Now, I also noticed you didn't list the condition of the coin, you left that blank. Together with the fact you have a low feedback score, i probably would not have bought that item from you. But someone did and if they feel there is a part missing, I think they could very well win a 'not as described' claim, given that these coins in their box do come with a certificate.

On ebay, buyers don't always win their claims but sellers have to have a strong case to defend themselves if they are to persuade ebay to reject a buyer's claim. I don't think you have. Also, if a buyer wins a claim, you will still be out of pocket with fees, they won't be refunded.

Keep that in mind when you list anything. Include lots of photos, a detailed and honest description. I think you would have had a stronger case if you had included several of your own photos that showed the box open and no certificate etc visible. As it is, with stock photos, you have, maybe unintentionally, misled the buyer into thinking they were getting a new, complete item.

On the plus side with advertising on ebay, you get a wider audience and you're more likely to get a better price. Had you listed that coin on facebook at $169.99, you'd be getting people asking you if you'll take $80 etc, which is most annoying. So it can be worth selling on ebay, just be careful.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Stick with FB; Ever since I got 2 negs from one very fat buyer who then sent 47 hateful messages plus 4 bids followed by cancellations (all because of my emergency hospitalization, the posting out was late),  my sales have almost stopped. 

Then another neg wherein a buyer claimed not as described; she didn't read the listing properly or she needs glasses. Where else can anyone buy Ferragamo shoes for $19?  Of course they were showing some wear which was clearly shown in the photos.

FB is really good for me; I've sold many, many things in just a few weeks and I get to meet some really nice people from the area.

My main ebay interaction these days is to de-list the things which I've sold on FB.

ebay sure ain't what it used to be!

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

@doobelly wrote:

Stick with FB; Ever since I got 2 negs from one very fat buyer who then sent 47 hateful messages plus 4 bids followed by cancellations (all because of my emergency hospitalization, the posting out was late),  my sales have almost stopped. 

Ebay is like anywhere else, you can strike some very rude people sometimes.

I did read your feedback and I do understand that anyone can be caught out suddenly with illness and it sounds as if you were hospitalised for over 3 weeks. (I hope all is well now and you're in good health).

Your buyer did panic a little prematurely I think, with neg feedback after just 5 or 6 days. But with a lapse of 3 weeks, a lot of buyers would possibly be opening ebay cases. When selling regularly on ebay, I think it would probably be a good idea to have a back up person, a spouse, close friend, someone, who was familiar with your account and could take over in an emergency.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply