Negative feedback

I can guess that this is a topic that has been spoken about before so i apologize in advance if it has been posted before.

My issue is that i started selling quite a bit over the last 2 years, i have 1700 positives, but in the last 6 months i have had 2 negatives which are really unwarranted, i have sent feedback revision requests but no answer, contacted ebay i think i just got a very unhelpful automated response, i really think these Negatives should be looked at.

the first Negative i got was from a buyer who bought the mask soundtrack, he put a coment in saying jim  carey has a nice singing voice along with a negative, how that makes sense i dont know, sent him feedback revision, and nothing no response

The other one i put it in my adds that if there is a problem with any of my items please contact me and i will resolve it, that didnt happen just left negative without any communication to me at all. As most sellers know negatives are not good to have, i would accept negative feedback if there was a valid reasons for it but both these times to me are unjustified. and having 1700 positives in 1 year proves that. The other thing is negative feedback is somewhat damaging to a seller as buyers do look at negative feedback

I really would like to get a human rep from ebay to look at these i cant find anything, so any help as to where to look would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advancde

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Negative feedback

cft207
Community Member

I just read the neg comment you received :

"Jim Carrey has a good singing voice"

That's absurd !

If you asked ebay to remove that and they didn't , well, that would be evidence ebay is a flawed platform.
The neg alone is a public action detrimental to your business endeavours, yet the comment is meaningly.
Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

I'm hearing you. A few months back I had a neg removed too. One where I was factual, not nasty and didn't mention any ebay claims etc

I asked an ebay rep why and got no real response.

Just that not to worry, the negs are kept on record by ebay, even if they don't show online.

You'd think if ebay admit to the error though, they would fix it.

As for the negs you received, it can be easy to see sometimes that buyers have been unreasonable. It won't necessarily affect your future sales, though I know an underserved neg would be annoying.

My view is there are so many unreasonable and strange people in this world, it is a miracle if you can go for years without a neg here and there.

Many buyers will overlook a ridiculous neg. How you respond to it is vital as if you come across as a reasonable person dealing with an unreasonable one, you're fine.

Marketplace though is booming, I have to admit. More crazies there though than on ebay. People who ask if something is available and then you never hear from them again. Some sellers (this is true, happened to me recently!) who don't even know how much they were asking for a thing.

But at least you're not paying commission.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

regarding the human error and removal of feedback - ebay staff repeatedly state once they remove a feedback they have no way to reinstate it , or enable new feedback to be left. Great system huh ....easily done if they wanted to but they choose not to.

Same old : "we'll report that " or "I'll notify the OTHER TEAM to look into it" , AKA Hi, I understand, go away.

The pain more so lies in the illogical support and the fact they actually think they're helping.

I agree though, there's always issues when dealing with a multitude of people, that's life. I do however find it hugely insulting to have to abide by ebay 'policies', which they think is above and beyond actual regional laws in regard to conduction business, pay for that in commissions, only to be insulted again when seeking assistance from poorly trained staff who cannot , or choose not to, think for themselves according to fact, logic, and evidence.

Can only be told "I understand" so many times , especially when in same paragraph in which they admit mistake, and also say they're doing nothing about it.

ebay has gotten away with so much over the years, and continue to push the envelope of their own business greed.
An example : How many times have people bought an item listed 'available & sent from within Australia', yet wait weeks to receive the item from China ?
Often those sellers have many thousands of sales, and I have NEVER , not once, seen one of those sellers blocked or forced to change the listing about where item is sent from - That practice has continued for so long members just know that's the way it is.  No doubt that issue could be stopped or reduced, but they don't ....$$$$

eBay fail to follow or enforce their own policies when it suits them yet copy and paste policy in your face repeatedly when trying to seek assistance that may take a tad of common sense, or thought.

I am right now in process of moving 46 listings of value approx AUD $13000-14000 to other sales site...VERY time consuming.

Best leave a flawed system to its own demise rather than die a slow death with it.

I'll vote with my typing fingers for a while transferring listings and give them two more fingers on my way out the door as they are in no way a loyal and mutually beneficial business partner - haven't been for a few years before they instigated their managed payment system. I noticed differences soon after they sold Paypal , and also when australian phone support lost ability to do anything but redirect/deflect issues.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@cft207 wrote:

Just received first NEG two days ago, after many years and over 7 active selling accounts

Buyer bought 12th Dec, I posted 12DEC, and it had ETA of 18-28DEc...sending from rural NSW to outside of Darwin NT over Christmas and holiday period.
Silly little $5 net profit item sending , as per buyers choice, by untracked Aus Post letter service.

Buyer leaves neg on 27th , and within the neg lies about me not answering his emails - two received 27th and both politely answered 27th.

Why would you send something untracked, even a $5 item,  If they don't want to pay for tracking, I don't want to deal with them. ,  

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Many of us real sellers send things untracked. It depends on value, and the profit with tracking vs the profit without. And the likelihood of copping an INR.

Works for me - out of several thousand I've had a handful I've had to repay. A maximum of $80. Versus the cost of tracking (which comes out of my pocket, as I price my items according to the competition), which would be several thousand dollars.

It's known as risk management. You lose the occasional one, but you're in front overall.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Many of us real sellers send things untracked. It depends on value, and the profit with tracking vs the profit without. And the likelihood of copping an INR.

Works for me - out of several thousand I've had a handful I've had to repay. A maximum of $80. Versus the cost of tracking (which comes out of my pocket, as I price my items according to the competition), which would be several thousand dollars.

It's known as risk management. You lose the occasional one, but you're in front overall.

Just to clarify I am a real seller,  not sure why you think I am not.

But besides that,  glad you are happy to take the risk management approach,  my approach it is not happening on my shift.  The hassle of having to refund or resend an item, just isnt worth my time or effort or dollars.

The INR rate for untracked compared to tracked is significantly higher,  I think some will know how I know this.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

ebay has gotten away with so much over the years, and continue to push the envelope of their own business greed.
An example : How many times have people bought an item listed 'available & sent from within Australia', yet wait weeks to receive the item from China ?
Often those sellers have many thousands of sales, and I have NEVER , not once, seen one of those sellers blocked or forced to change the listing about where item is sent from - That practice has continued for so long members just know that's the way it is.  No doubt that issue could be stopped or reduced, but they don't ....$$$$

eBay fail to follow or enforce their own policies when it suits them yet copy and paste policy in your face repeatedly 

One thing I have read of repeatedly here on the boards, & also noticed for myself, is how automated ebay is. A lot of the time, you get a Bot reply instead of something that actually addresses the issues. This is especially so in emails or messages. I am guessing this is a cost saving measure, although occasionally people do get good results from ebay chat.

The issue you mentioned with Chinese sellers listing here and sending items that take weeks to arrive. I agree, it is an ongoing problem and one I believe that could have a relatively easy fix. Ebay should just show seller location on the original ad page, along with item location.

It isn't that it is hard to look up seller registration, but a lot of buyers would never think to do it or may not know how to do it. They assume item location is seller location.

I do think buyers though need to look carefully at estimated arrival dates. If something is listed as being in a capital city and it is going to take weeks and weeks to arrive, that should be a red flag.

And if an item does not arrive on time, then I think buyers should not mess around, just open an ebay claim and follow through till they get a refund.

Good luck with your business enterprises. I no longer sell on ebay, haven't for years, but I gather that one of the reasons a lot of sellers stick with it is that it has a wider buyer base and a more streamlined system of sales/payments etc

It would be interesting if you could come back here in a few weeks and let us know how you are getting on on the other sites and if you have any tips.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

I agree and would rather send everything tracked . But there are times I get stuck with low value items that owe me nothing and I will use untracked to make some extra money. There's likely items that attract higher claim rates than others and I have been lucky to not come across any as of yet.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

I agree and would rather send everything tracked . But there are times I get stuck with low value items that owe me nothing and I will use untracked to make some extra money. There's likely items that attract higher claim rates than others and I have been lucky to not come across any as of yet.

You also run the risk of some ????  leaving you negative feedback, so is it worth it for a low value item, even if it owes you nothing.  Repostage will suddenly make it a loss item.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Like I said a handful in 15 years. Works for me. Maybe book buyers are more honest than the general population.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply