Netflix tax

Just got an email from ebay...

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

Anyone else feel a fee increase coming to cover this....

Message 1 of 276
Latest reply
275 REPLIES 275

Re: Netflix tax

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

ozstockman..................

This is just another example of the contempt with which Ebay treat the Aussie sellers.

Their message about the GST makes no sense, and the link they provide for "more information" gives no additional info. 

Roll on Amazon!!!!!

Yeah, that what we all sellers and buyers have to deal with unfortunatelly.

Just found another bug on eBay with the date showing yesterday one while it should be today. Paypal has all dates wrecked too for a long time, who cares there.

As a web deveoper in the past I am just shocked that such a simple task with showing a current date can be done so poorly. OMG!!! I feel like laboratory mice

Thanks for the tip about Amazon. I was waiting for a long time for them to allow to sell on com.au. It seems they have started it already. I did not know that because I was checking their website once in 3 months.

I wil still list on eBay as without an actual shop any local online  selling channel is a plus for me.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 201 of 276
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ghost, I know the difference between turnover and profit.
When GST first started the roads were littered with the bones of 'till spenders'.

Absolutely agree with you Lyndal1838. People should not register for GST just to save on ebay fees.

I was going through the GST BAS return headache until I divided my business with my wife and son.

They each have separate businesses ( web sites, bank accounts PayPal accounts etc ).

This way we are each below the $75k threshhold.

Perhaps in some respects I am as thick as too short planks but I still can't get my head around

ebay issuing 2 styles of invoice. One for non-business with GST ADDED not included as per normal

and one for business WITHOUT GST.

If ebay are collecting GST then ANY invoice they issue must be a GST invoice. That is, have a GST

component.

I have registered all my ebay ID's with ABN's I just feel for non-business sellers who are soon going to

cop an extra impost.

Message 202 of 276
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Ghost, I know the difference between turnover and profit.

I wasn't trying to suggest you didn't, that was just a further explanatory statement to the actual point I was trying to make, which was in response to the suggestion that the people who can least afford GST will have to pay it - lots of sellers, or businesses, who sell on eBay but are not registered to collect GST can probably afford it well enough. I know it cuts further into the bottom line for many sellers, perhaps particularly those that sell casually, and I'm not saying the majority can afford it, I just wanted to add a point to  blanket statement, so if you like, you can put it down to me being contrarian for the sake of it. 

Message 203 of 276
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Contrarian ? Is that a new star sign ?

I guess it's a whole new world.

Ebay will be charging GST to non-registered sellers

by adding it to their invoices so how can ebay NOT be collecting GST ?

Odd.

Message 204 of 276
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Ebay will be charging GST to non-registered sellers

by adding it to their invoices so how can ebay NOT be collecting GST ?

Odd.

What do you mean by this?  Where has there been any suggestion that ebay is not collecting GST.

Businesses do not have to be registered for GST to be charged it.

Message 205 of 276
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

lyndal1838 it's just the situation where ebay is exempt from collecting GST

from one group ( those registered for GST ) and not another ( non-GST registered sellers ).

If ebay is collecting GST why not issue every seller a GST invoice.

This exemption part has me confused.

Perhaps I am easily confused.

Message 206 of 276
Latest reply

I don't blame you for being confused but according to the new rules it seems that this is now what has to be done in these circumstances.   This is the first time overseas businesses have had to collect GST.

As far as I can make out it has something to do with the new simplified BAS/GST that the ATO is banging on about.

It took me ages to work out that the "new simplified BAS form" is going to save me entering 4 numbers on our form, although it will save a bit more work for businesses who export goods and those who deal in GST exempt goods as well as goods where it is payable.

Message 207 of 276
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

A whole new world I guess.

I guess one of the original targets ( collecting GST on goods purchased from os sellers ) was too hard to hit.

The other was getting the os mega corporates to pay tax they were dodging.

The good old Australian sitting duck has become a much easier target.

Message 208 of 276
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

A whole new world I guess.

I guess one of the original targets ( collecting GST on goods purchased from os sellers ) was too hard to hit.

That is still going ahead but has been held back for 12 months due to them not thinking it through properly and having difficulty implementing it in the timeframe.

The other was getting the os mega corporates to pay tax they were dodging.

Well the collection of GST is a start in the right direction.  Once that is in place I am sure a few laws will be changed to allow the ATO to go further.

The good old Australian sitting duck has become a much easier target.

Who is a sitting duck?  The Australian consumer (the end user)  has always paid the GST so nothing has changed in that regard.

Message 209 of 276
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sitting duck = non-GST registered ebay seller.

Message 210 of 276
Latest reply