Netflix tax

Just got an email from ebay...

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

Anyone else feel a fee increase coming to cover this....

Message 1 of 276
Latest reply
275 REPLIES 275

Re: Netflix tax

glad someone finally agrees with what I think - sllers are paying the GST NOT EBAY - to me it is another way of ripping people off
Message 271 of 276
Latest reply

All sellers in Australia (if you do not have an ABN number ) are being charged 10% GST on listing fees and final value fees - so everyone will be increasing their postages cost to cover this-
Message 272 of 276
Latest reply

@beverly8406 wrote:
All sellers in Australia (if you do not have an ABN number ) are being charged 10% GST on listing fees and final value fees - so everyone will be increasing their postages cost to cover this-

This is not quite right.

You can have an abn and still be charged the 10% gst.

In order to avoid it entirely, you would need to have both an abn AND be registered for gst.

When you are a gst registered business you will need to be completing quarterly BAS and banking your gst for onforwarding to the ATO after deducting all your business gst inputs.

This level of compliance is onerous to small businesses who are usually sole traders or family businesses.

As such the ATO does not require a business to register until turnover exceeds $70,000 pa

Once you've registered for gst you'll need to invest in accounting software, an accountant and a bookkeeper.

You'll be having to do daily, monthly and quarterly reconciliations.

You'll have to learn the ins and outs of trial balancing and you'll fret over the possibility of a please explain from the ATO.

(penalties for mistakes with BAS are quite significant as are late fees).

In short, avoid registering for gst if at all possible as you'll be spending far too much time tending your books instead of your business.

Message 273 of 276
Latest reply

I can't agree with you there about avoiding registering for GST. As long as your bookwork is up to date and correct the BAS is simple and quick, certainly not onerous. And if you do it online it only takes about 30 seconds to fill in two numbers, then your refund or payment is automatic.

If a business is registered and buyes a lot of stuff for their business then it is well worth regestering just to claim back the GST that you have paid on your purchases.

Latest reply

I agree with maranock to a certain extent....doing the BAS is not onerous.

I do the bookwork for a small business with a turnover of approximately $150,000 a year and it takes me about 30 minutes a week with an extra 30 minutes to work out and submit the BAS.

The one note of caution that I would add though is .....do not register for GST until you have to do so.   Once you are registered you are commited to remitting 10% of your turnover (less any credits) on every cent.   You would need a lot of credits to make it worth while.

Message 275 of 276
Latest reply

Following literally hours spent talking and messaging eBay I at last have some answers regarding the GST situation for eBay's NZ sellers.

If you (or your IP address) are in New Zealand you have been charged GST at New Zealand's 15% rate on your Seller Manager Pro (if used), and probably listing and success fees since September 1st 2016. The exemption on being charged GST by supplying GST an d company info as requested by eBay is not possible as teBay's 'registration' system for doing so will not except NZ GST numbers.

Having also been in touch with NZ Inland Revenue Department it is possible (for GST registered members) to make a retrospective claim of the GST that has been charged to date. Just download the monthly invoices from your account details page and submit them together with a covering letter to the IRD. It is probably also adviseable for you to consult with your accountant in respect to this matter. The fees can then be treated as any usual GST expense item in future. For most of us this will also require conversion of the AUD invoice to NZD.

The confusion and communication difficulties we have experience in pursuing this has definitely not inspired confidence in the implementation of offshore billing of GST for offshore (online) commerce as muted by our governments!

Just doing our bit to save the world from humans
Message 276 of 276
Latest reply