Netflix tax

Just got an email from ebay...

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

Anyone else feel a fee increase coming to cover this....

Message 1 of 276
Latest reply
275 REPLIES 275

Netflix tax

The people who've whinged about ebay not paying taxes in Australia should be really happy now!  

I think we'll just get the usual invoice but with the GST added on separately at the end. 

Message 2 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

They've just fiddled with the fees recently including an increase to monthly store fees.

No doubt they will try to increase something to cover it.

With combined eBay/PayPal fees hovering around the 20% of purchase price, you'd think they must be at saturation point.

I would imagine they've lost many sellers already due to their high fees (particularly when FB is free)!

So many sellers are reporting poor sales and with another fee increase (or as eBay prrefer to put it -'restructure'), I'd imagine even more sellers might decide that enough is enough and seek alternative online selling avenues.

Message 3 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

They don't have to 'cover it'. All they need to do is write the fees as they currently are and then add the GST to the total, like most invoices do.
Message 4 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

Ebay will not be paying the GST tax - the sellers will
Message 5 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

pdme, I'm well aware of that. That's why it's never worried me that ebay pays no other tax in Australia. If they did, we'd be paying higher fees to cover it.
Message 6 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

Just got the same email..Not convinced that it is genuine.Didn't name me in the introduction as all ebay emails do.

Message 7 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you have an ABN but are below the GST threshhold ( and don't fill out BAS returns ) will your fees go up 10% or stay the same ???

Message 8 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

@brumby45 wrote:

Just got the same email..Not convinced that it is genuine.Didn't name me in the introduction as all ebay emails do.

Go to your inbox and right click on the Email and select view message source,(in the gobbledegook/HTML you'll

find your full name and user name that you use on the site).

About a fifth of the way down.

Message 9 of 276
Latest reply

Netflix tax

@Anonymous wrote:

So if you have an ABN but are below the GST threshhold ( and don't fill out BAS returns ) will your fees go up 10% or stay the same ???

It will only be 10% on the seller fees,(eg: final value fees and postage).

Message 10 of 276
Latest reply