New Buying Scam

I had an overeas bidder win an item, and the adress was in the U.K.  When I sent the invoice, I had calculated the postage, etc, to the U.K.  When it came time to pay up , (using paypal), the buyer had changed their mailing address to China. Trouble is, this item is a prohibited import into China (I checked on AP's restricted imports website). So I sent an email to them explaining that this item was a prohibited , cancelled the sale, and then refunded. All fixed- or so I thought.
I re-listed the item and guess who won it again?- My original bidder- So this time, the address was in the U.S. So, again I invoiced with postage to the U.S., thinkng they may get their "Friend" in the U.S. to send it to them. This time I kept a screen shot of the original order with it's U.S. address. When they paid up, the mailing address magically reverted back to china again! I once again cancelled the sale, refunded their payment, and put them on my "special bidders" list.   If I had sent this item to China, it would have been picked out, confiscated, and I would be out- the item ,plus the cost, plus the postage! If sending stuff overseas, it pays to check out AP's website, they have a list of countries and their particular import restrictions- some of them are pretty odd!  

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

New Buying Scam

It is the buyer's responsibility to check their own Customs requirements (although some, even in Australia, seem to think they have a prerogative to import whatever they like). Unless it has changed, prohibited imports don't qualify for buyer protection, so you should have been covered anyway.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

You mean that the SELLER is protected for once? I bet Ebay will find some way  to make it the seller's fault, and the dud buyer is protected (once again, they can do NO wrong)

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

Who pays for customs?

Generally, buyers pay additional costs such as duties, taxes, and customs clearance fees. To avoid problems, make sure that your listing clearly states this

International postage and customs

If you receive negative or neutral Feedback from the buyer about having to pay import duties and taxes, we may remove the Feedback. Find about more Feedback which refers to customs delays or customs fees.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

This is not an import duty/tax thing, this item is Not allowed into their country. They will not get it, it will more than likely be destroyed, and the buyer will put in a "not received " claim, and get refunded .

So the seller is once again, left to suck eggs. Not worth the trouble.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

Seller is protected in that case.

It's up to the buyer to know their customs/import laws for their own country.

Ebay sellers are not expected to know the laws of every country.

That's why I put up the link.

They can't open an INR - or if they do, they will lose.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

@imastawka wrote:

Lol, maybe.

eBay are often a bit creative in their interpretation of there own rules.

I wouldn't be taking the risk that some bot or CS would agree it was up to the poor little darling buyer.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

New Buying Scam

@imastawka wrote:

Unless you have pet rats.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply