New Postage Rates coming inot effect 4th January....

Just curious and hope someone can answer for me, with the new rates due to take effect 4th January '16, if posting something via large letter rate say for example now would require 2 x 70c Stamps = $1.40 cause it is under the 125g weight, would the new rates then be 2 x $1 stamps = $2.00 for the slower delivery method & if requiring the faster 2 day delivery rate mean adding 2 x 50c prority stamps making the total $3.00  ?  In other words it would be 1 prority stamp added for each $1 stamp?  Hope that makes sense.....and do we just make new postage policies to reflect the new rates so buyers have a choice when making their purchase?

Thanks

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Its only one priority stamp per envellope regardless of small or large letters is my understanding.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Priority requires one 50c priority label regardless of the postage cost.  So your $1.40 letter will now cost you $2 plus 50c f you want it to go priority.  A $2.10 letter will cost $3 or $3.50 priority and a $3.50 letter will cost $5 or $5.50 priority.  Priority letters still don't have any sort of tracking, so if you want tracking you will need to add registered post at $3.75 as well as the extra 50c for priority as registration doesn't alter the speed of the service.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

Priority requires one 50c priority label regardless of the postage cost.  So your $1.40 letter will now cost you $2 plus 50c f you want it to go priority.  A $2.10 letter will cost $3 or $3.50 priority and a $3.50 letter will cost $5 or $5.50 priority.  Priority letters still don't have any sort of tracking, so if you want tracking you will need to add registered post at $3.75 as well as the extra 50c for priority as registration doesn't alter the speed of the service.

At that price it would be cheaper to send the letter item as a small parcel!

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Priority requires one 50c priority label regardless of the postage cost.  So your $1.40 letter will now cost you $2 plus 50c f you want it to go priority.  A $2.10 letter will cost $3 or $3.50 priority and a $3.50 letter will cost $5 or $5.50 priority.  Priority letters still don't have any sort of tracking, so if you want tracking you will need to add registered post at $3.75 as well as the extra 50c for priority as registration doesn't alter the speed of the service

.. that is very depressing news for me .. also I just checked ebays new upcoming defect policy for slow delivery times and it syncs in neatly with ausposts extortionate and punishing letter rate increases .. obviously we will be punished by ebay for extending our handling time with decreased visibility via "best match" and auspost will be deliberately delaying postage to "incentivise" people to use their premium rate .. what a racket!!! ..

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

At that price it would be cheaper to send the letter item as a small parcel!

Was going to go to the trouble of listing my large collection of photography magazines on ebay and was going to post using letter rate  but won't bother with it now .. no money in it for me now so would be stupid to even try that .. will either keep them or sell in bulk via pick up only .. I imagine a lot of sellers will be delisting a lot of letter rate stuff once this all kicks in ..

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

And don't forget eBay will be making their 10% on the postage....  win win 

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Rather than delisting my magazines, I'm stocking up on C4 and B4 prepaid envelopes. Buy 5 X packets of 10 and the price drops significantly. The prepaid envelopes can be used without having to put additional stamps on, indefinitely. With the money you save by buying in bulk you can afford to add the 50c priority stamp. Don't give up on selling your collection of magazines individually. It is worthwhile, whereas selling in bulk may only clear some space but not give you much money.

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

This is a win win for both Ebay and Aus Post, Ebay want to get rid of small sellers and Aus Post want out of letter post.

I't would not supprise me if they were  working together on this , dont know what I will do as all my stuff is nearly letter post ......

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Most of my items are letters, too, but I'm hoping that the price rise will encourage people to place larger orders. Buyers can get 1kg worth of items for $7.15 (most of my items will fit into a Bx1 box) which will be much better value than a 250g - 500g $5 letter.

I hate it when people buy one $3 or $4 item anyway. If only eBay stores functioned like other online stores and had an option to set an order minimum.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply