New Zealand new customs requirement

Got this email from DHL recently:

New Zealand Shipping Updates

New Zealand Customs has advised that there is an increase in shipments being held due to insufficient documentation or seizure of restricted items. To help avoid delays, we recommend the following when preparing your shipments:

1. Goods Description

A clear and accurate description of the goods you are shipping should be provided. Vague or inaccurate descriptions may be held by customs, resulting in delayed deliveries and additional surcharges for item inspection and/or incomplete data.

2. Prohibited and Restricted Items

Please take note of prohibited and restricted items, such as aerosols, batteries and flammable liquids, a complete list of items can be found here . Shipping these items will lead to additional surcharges & items may be held or destroyed.

3. New Zealand Full Tariff Code

For items with a declared value greater than NZ$400 and less than NZ$1,000 a New Zealand Full Tariff code is required, click here to generate your tariff code.

We hope you find the above information useful, if you require additional information on how to prepare your shipments please contact your dedicated account manager or our customer service team on 1800 688 280 or email Cs-ecom.au@dhl.com.

Thank you for shipping with DHL eCommerce Solutions.

Best regards,
DHL eCommerce Solutions – Excellence. Simply Delivered.

Great idea NZ, lets clearly describe what's in the box to everyone along the delivery chain so that dishonest people know exactly which boxes to rip off. /rant

Just thought i would pass it along to everyone.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

there was also an img file with some examples:

unnamed.png

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks.good.gif

Even though I haven't sold many items to NZ they are now blocked.ok.gif

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Wow, I'd feel very uncomfortable sending a high-value parcel with very specific descriptions like that. I wonder how long til other countries need this.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Countries with small populations and low tax base tend to have more draconian regulations.  As a result the Kiwi's pay 15% GST to keep the country running.  Inland Revenue can't afford to miss a single dollar.  On the other hand they benefit on having TradeMe online market place which is a ripper.  TradeMe was once tipped to cross the ditch here with their Australian domain name already registered.  If it ever happens some serious competition to eBay may evolve...

German DHL are a brilliant shipper but you pay for their gold plated service.  You would need to be a serious seller if you use them.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:

Countries with small populations and low tax base tend to have more draconian regulations.  As a result the Kiwi's pay 15% GST to keep the country running.  Inland Revenue can't afford to miss a single dollar.  On the other hand they benefit on having TradeMe online market place which is a ripper.  TradeMe was once tipped to cross the ditch here with their Australian domain name already registered.  If it ever happens some serious competition to eBay may evolve...

German DHL are a brilliant shipper but you pay for their gold plated service.  You would need to be a serious seller if you use them.

I'm sorry I did not respond sooner, I totally forgot about this post. DHL have an economy ecommerce solution now for international shipping. It's actually cheaper than Auspost if you get about 1/2 a dozen items picked up at the same time to spread the cost of their $11 pickup fee.

It's cheap because they use the local mail service (Royal Mail, USPS, etc) for final delivery.

https://www.logistics.dhl/au-en/home/our-divisions/ecommerce.html

I have been very happy with their service, I wish I could use it for domestic packages.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Did you get today's email? 

They are now going to be using Amarex (formerly Fastway) as a delivery partner in NZ.

I hope they are a lot better in NZ than they are here, otherwise...

Spoiler
noooooooooooooo
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Good heavens.....is there any pie that Fastway does not stick their fingers in?

It should be made compulsory for anyone contemplating using their services to read the public reviews and think how it coud impact on their customers.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

They don't have their fingers in the Tippy takes stuff to the PO pie...........thankfully............for now. Give it time though.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply