New payment holds on non tracked items presents a problem

So I just read the new rules coming in Feb 7.

One in particular

"

• If you upload a valid tracking number, the funds for that order will be held until there is a tracking scan from the carrier showing us the item is on the way to the buyer"

so my australia post office doesnt even scan parcels that are put in their post box, you have to physically take items in and wait in a queue to have them scanned.  Sometimes when I have sent tracked items they wont track it until its at the destination even.  So sloppy aus post work will end up with sellers having lengthy payment holds, I thought it was bad enough with the current waits after they removed instant paypal payments.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: New payment holds on non tracked items presents a problem

So, just go into the PO.

For many sellers, it's a matter of peace of mind to get the lodgement scan at a minimum.

It doesn't matter if I have to wait in a queue in order to get this - it is part of being an online seller. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

you obviously dont know what my post office is like lol but yes that will be the only option

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

It very likely will. Or find another, quieter, post office. Or plan your times.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I have a very busy PO, however the manager who knows I come in nearly every day, just lets me leave them on one of his unmanned counters & then scans them later when he has the time.  Never had any issues with the scanning.  Maybe you could have a word with the manager & see if that's possible for you.  In the tradition of full disclosure I must admit that I'm a wiz-bang cake maker & have been known to take in said goodies  for their morning tea now & then   - fair exchange!! I say.

Good luck & brush up on your cooking skills!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

My post office has a lodge bin at the self serve computers. If the line is long I just chuck the parcels in the lodge bin and when they collect them (same day) they are scanned in. Have a look if yours has this option. There are also parcel lockers to lodge from as another alternative.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

oz-e-seller, can you be certain that the parcels are/will be scanned? Every single time? If there is any possibility that the scanning might be skipped - by accident, due to haste or volume, whatever it may be - then the seller would be left vulnerable.

It can happen that more than one event from lodgement to delivery is skipped. I still have some items in my AusPost account that are supposedly still pending... (and I've received them months ago). I've also received items that don't have any scanned events, and some that have only the delivery event scanned. Of course, the very great majority of items I've received have multiple events - lodgement, tracking, on board for delivery, delivered - but the protection offered by a printed lodgement receipt is for precisely those occasions when something goes wrong.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

It's all a matter of perspective:     the parcels do get scanned eventually, so maybe your payments are a few days slower, and you can budget for that.   I would use the option of everyday ebay payments rather than weekly.

In the meantime, there are the advantages of using a red box - minimizes contact with other people in these covid times - more convenient for you, you can post any time.  No queueing, no problem.

I am very lucky in my area, I post in the nearest red box before noon, and whoever picks it up is a super postie because I can see all my items scanned by 5pm.     Now that you can also post standard international parcels in the red boxes, I have been doing this for some months now, and it works great.     I realise everyone is not so fortunate.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I go to my local PO daily.  I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff.  I hand them my pile of items they scan them in and leave the lodgment receipt in my PO box to collect the next day.  I take a photo of each as a record, because it shows I have lodged the item and it also shows the destination postcode.

Avoid lunchtimes and the last minute 430pm rush and you'll be fine

I would never ever consider sending tracked items without lodging them and getting that lodgment receipt

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply