No Returns Policy

Sorry guys but I feel a little confused about having a No Returns Policy.  Can someone please explain how you can have this when EBay appear to just do as they please.  Have read a few threads but they so seem confusing especially when they are in answer to another persons complaint of having to refund.  Just want to know the basics.  Hope this doesn't sound duh!.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: No Returns Policy

When it comes to clothes and buyers who falsely claim Not as Described, (ie purchase, wear and then try to return)  I think the only water tight way to protect yourself is to 

a) purchase tags that attach to the clothes so that they cannot be worn unless the safety tag is removed (extremely costly and time consuming)

or 

b) take extra photos inside and out of the clothing, up close etc and keep them on your computer (time consuming in a way but not costly like safety tags)

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Yes. Ebay is useless in this regard. I just sold a pair of โ€˜pre owned shoes from 2003โ€™ and the buyer demanded a return as they were not in good condition. Clearly listed as a 15 year old pair of pre owned shoes, with 5 high def pics. Ebay found in his favour and now i have to fork out for the refund AND i have to pay return postage. Ebay say this is because they dont know the condition of the item as they never have it in their hand to see it, which is rubbish of course, they have access to the listing and all the photos, and could make a ruling. This is just another way of them screwing sellings and absolving themselves of any responsibility.
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Having a no return policy is of little use, but not completely no use. It has some use when the buyer is honest whereas dishonest buyers will get to keep your item, get a full refund including postage, AND give you a negative feedback no matter what you do. Thankfully, dishonest buyers are in the very small minority at the bottom of the barrel. Don't let the horror stories deter you from selling in good faith. People here barely talk about the smooth transactions which all go unnoticed. Chances are: you will get an honest buyer.

Spoiler
But if you want a horror story, here's one:
A fraudster Yank with 0 feedback bought a vintage bottle from me last year for $50 + postage to US in January 2017. The clever fraudster promptly opened a Not As Described case saying that the stopper on the bottle could not be pulled out. I pointed out that one of the pictures had the stopper out. He said he did not want to use force. Ebay sided with him and gave me a defect. I decided that it was not worth paying the return postage back from the US for a $50 item. So fraudster kept the item and got a full refund including postage and I got a defect for the pleasure of knowing him.

Today I checked his account, "No longer a registered user" was displayed. Either ebay has finally banned him after 32 feedbacks or he has decided that every item he bought on ebay was faulty and quit ebay. If he was indeed banned, where is my money back, ebay?

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply