Non-paying Buyer & eBay's Unpaid Item Assistant

Hi everyone, I got an non-paying buyer recently, they purchased on the 3rd May and hasn't paid or responded to me at all. I checked my preferences and I do have the Unpaid Item Assistant set to enabled, and it's set to open a case after 4 days. This was enabled quite a while back, not after this buyer.

However I haven't gotten any movement from the Unpaid Item Assistant, so I'm not sure - is it 4 "business" days? Or does it start the count after I send the invoice to the buyer? What's been your experience with this Unpaid Item Assistant?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The 4-days starts ticking from the minute they commit to buy. It's 4 clock days not business days.

We don't use the auto szetup rather do them manually.

That way we can sometimes choose to extend the time allowed if we get reasonable communication from the buyer.

Once you open a case that starts the second clock ticking.

After a further 4 clock days (exactly to the minute/second) you can close the case to get back your FVF's.

At day#3 we send a friendly reminder message.

Then if there is nothing back from them open after day#4 then if they still do not pay close it after day#8.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I believe it only opens a case automatically if you have paypal as your only payment method, though....

The OP has other methods also, so I suspect they'll have to open a case manually....

I don't use it myself, though, so may have got this wrong.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@mayger_and_mayger wrote:

I believe it only opens a case automatically if you have paypal as your only payment method, though....

Kind of - it works if you only have electronic payment methods that can be recorded as paid (or not) by eBay. That used to mean PayPal, Paymate and merchant credit card, but I think eBay withdrew Paymate as an acceptable payment method, which just leaves the other two, so for most people it does mean you have to offer PayPal only for the UPI assistant to work (just because merchant accounts are unviable for lots of people). 

Otherwise, the cases do have to be opened manually as suggested. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Interesting that you say '4 clock days to close'. 

When I had my recent non-payer (well actually paid by eCheque which wasn't honoured), I was told by eBay to open the case last Thursday, and to come back and close it on Tuesday if no action from the buyer.  So that is 4 business days not clock days.

Maybe I just spoke to the wrong rep??  And it was a call me one, who are usually more switched on than the others.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

11.55pm thursday and close it at 11.55pm monday.   Only 5 mins away from Tuesday.

Maybe the rep was thinking on the safe side, Tuesday would be the closest daytime.

For me it's always been precisely 4 clock days. (Could be I have never had one over a weekend)

image host
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

It will definitely be Tuesday.  11.55pm on any day is WAY, WAY past my bedtime.  And only got one sleep to go.  

Not much money, just principle.  Carpy attitude.  On BBL

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

If you go into the resolution centre and click the dropdown to get your fees back, the next screen will tell you the earliest time you can close it (down to the second). If the option to select no is available, then you can close it, if not the time will be at the top of the screen. It's always been 4 clock days to the second. Same as opening it.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

It will be all sorted in the morning.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Great stuff! It's nice when you can click that no box, then hit submit and think to yourself "S-T-RIIIIIIKKE 1"! Don't forget to add them to your blocked list in case this is their first strike. You don't want them coming back for another go.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply