Non paying bidders!!

I know this is a post that has been done before,but what can we,as a large community,do to make Ebay penalise non paying bidders?.This is becoming a big problem,as the non payers know that nothing will happen to them.You can't even leave negative feedback,not that this would do any good,as they will leave you negative feedback as a payback.Ebay goes on about looking after its members,well i think Ebay should put a plan in place to stamp out non payers.If they don't,what can we do to change their minds?.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Non paying bidders!!

I've actually found the responses here very helpful .... many sellers offer some really good advice about how to work within ebay's difficult policies.

Your question about "what can we do about non-paying ebayers" really should be addressed by ebay itself - but it isn't .... so members here have offered free advice on what works for them in different listing and selling situations

Message 41 of 64
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Sheesh!!

edit:  must learn to type (or think) faster

Padi's right though - won't work with auctions, only BIN

Yer keyboard is probably set to 'murrica time Stalks.....................

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2591.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 42 of 64
Latest reply

I gather BIN stands for Buy it now.If i wanted to list items as BIN's, so that i am protected with being paid immediately,i may as well just advertise my item in the for sale in a newspaper or some other format.The idea of Ebay is to sell to the highest bidder,ie AUCTION,so why would you list as BIN.This may save you from a non payer,but takes away the promise of reaching a very good outcome-price for your item via auctuon.What would be the point if everybody just listed their items as BIN?.

Message 43 of 64
Latest reply

You can't have it both ways. 

If you want a guaranteed price with a guaranteed paying buyer then list as BiN with immediate poayment required,

If you want to take a chance on what price you will get at auction and whether that bidder will actually pay you then list in auction format.

If the answers her don't suit you then ask ebay what the answer is to you problem.

Message 44 of 64
Latest reply

A week or so ago when you started this thread you were advised that NPB's and the strikes that get issued to non-payers was the way eBay allows you to filter out non-payers by putting your blocks in place.

You asked why sellers were not allowed to give negs to buyers - answer, they don't work and when they were allowed they were used as a weapon against buyers, add to that that a buyer neg is totally useless to you as a seller when someone bids in the last minute or so of an auction.

You say that an auction is better for you, well fair enough go down that track but please have all your blocks in place to weed out non-payers, that's all you can do - eBay's not (by any means) perfect but it does have a greater market place than your local paper, gumtree or swap meets.

And always open a case against NPB's so that they do get the strike they deserve and other sellers will not get stuffed up by them..........................

Message 45 of 64
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If you want a guaranteed price with a guaranteed paying buyer then list as BiN with immediate poayment required,

If you want to take a chance on what price you will get at auction and whether that bidder will actually pay you then list in auction format.

If the answers her don't suit you then ask ebay what the answer is to you problem.

The Trading discussion boards are for discussion - sorry you and others can not seem to accept that Lyndal.

Posters CAN and WILL continue to post matters they wish to discuss, whether any change can be achieved who knows ? 

Certainly is not up to other posters to determine and direct off the boards IMO.

OP I think that it is unacceptable that non paying bidders get an additional 4 days to pay after they have purchased an item.

I think that non paying bidders should have Non payer recorded automatically in feedback when they get a strike.

I think that sellers should have more freedom in determining acceptable payment period, and be able to set their preferences accordingly as they do for post time.  

Message 46 of 64
Latest reply

Thats my point.I have been in contact with Ebay many times and the answer is always the same.Follow the non payers guideline etc.My original question was,what can we do to make Ebay put in some sort of policy to help prevent non-payers.I appreciate the advice by some members,but in saying that we can't have it both ways,is not right either.The fact that members have to only list BIN's so as to help avoid the non payers is wrong and sad.These mebers are missing out on the full potetial that their item may bring via auction.This is what Ebay is about,so to see it going down the BIN track is again,sad.

Message 47 of 64
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The Trading discussion boards are for discussion - sorry you and others can not seem to accept that Lyndal.

Posters CAN and WILL continue to post matters they wish to discuss, whether any change can be achieved who knows ? 

And where do I not accept that the boards are for discussion Cats?

The subject has gone way beyond discussion...it has now become an argument for the sake of arguing.

No matter what is suggested the OP does not like it.

All I have done is condensed into a couple of lines what the OP has been told over and over again.

Message 48 of 64
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Certainly is not up to other posters to determine and direct off the boards IMO.

OP I think that it is unacceptable that non paying bidders get an additional 4 days to pay after they have purchased an item.

I think that non paying bidders should have Non payer recorded automatically in feedback when they get a strike.

I think that sellers should have more freedom in determining acceptable payment period, and be able to set their preferences accordingly as they do for post time.  

cats, why have a cheap shot at lyndal when the posts here have consistantly pointed out to the OP that the only way to curb non-payers is to 1, have their BBL sorted out and 2, always open NPB's.

That's the way that eBay (with their non-level playing field) want it to be, and they ain't going to listen to anyone like us that attempts to show them a better way to run their trading platform.

Go for your life at a slug at me now if you like.

Message 49 of 64
Latest reply

The OP asked what others thought about non payers.

Most posters did not give their opinion - but parroted on about the inadequate tools and policies that are available.

eBay DOES make changes due to opinions - including introducing cheaper post - pressuring for tracked post and a whole range of other improvements.

The boards are one of the few ways that sellers and buyers can express their views, suggestions and vent.

Why any poster thinks they have a "special" right to determine and post that a discussion is done is beyond me - how arrogant, to say the least.

Message 50 of 64
Latest reply