Non paying bidders!!

I know this is a post that has been done before,but what can we,as a large community,do to make Ebay penalise non paying bidders?.This is becoming a big problem,as the non payers know that nothing will happen to them.You can't even leave negative feedback,not that this would do any good,as they will leave you negative feedback as a payback.Ebay goes on about looking after its members,well i think Ebay should put a plan in place to stamp out non payers.If they don't,what can we do to change their minds?.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Non paying bidders!!

Firstly,for the ones saying that i don't have my blocks in place.How on earth would you know?.I have my blocks in place and i report every non payer and open up a non payment dispute.The fact that i use Ebay in its auction mode is my choice and i ,as you and every other Ebayer should not have to put up with non-payers.The more that people discuss this,the better.Some of the answers i have gotten may suit that particular seller,but it doesn't me.I wonder where the ones that only list as BIN's would list if they didn't have to deal with non-payers,i am sure it would be auction.

Message 51 of 64
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

The OP asked what others thought about non payers.

Right, I hate people that don't pay me for either my goods or my services.

Most posters did not give their opinion - but parroted on about the inadequate tools and policies that are available.

eBay has inadequate tools, yes cats 4 days to open an NPB and another 4 days to close it is wrong, so is the 21 day hold on money (including postage), so is the system that says buyers are  a priviledged class.

eBay DOES make changes due to opinions - including introducing cheaper post - pressuring for tracked post and a whole range of other improvements.

Wow, they take 10% of the postage that a seller pays for........................no wonder they have a discount on their postage.

The boards are one of the few ways that sellers and buyers can express their views, suggestions and vent.

Indeed they are, that's why open discussion is tolerated now and again.

Why any poster thinks they have a "special" right to determine and post that a discussion is done is beyond me - how arrogant, to say the least.

HUH, it's a discussion, I don't think any poster can stop a thread progressing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 52 of 64
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Why any poster thinks they have a "special" right to determine and post that a discussion is done is beyond me - how arrogant, to say the least.

The only poster who thinks I have said the discussion is over is you.....how arrogant is that?

Message 53 of 64
Latest reply

LOL lyndal.

same ol' same ol'

You posted " If the answers her don't suit you then ask ebay what the answer is to you problem" 

"the answers" only don't suit because a small number of regular posters, including yourself, decided they "don't suit"

LOL "ask eBay" - best conversation and thread killer there ever was.

Message 54 of 64
Latest reply

Quite right beatbotts01 have stated that several times before should not be considered sold until payment has been recieved, and only reqiures a small prograing readjustment on Ebay to do that as it is programmed to let you know when a buyer has paid, in the real world is not a sale until payment has been made, not the other way around.

Message 55 of 64
Latest reply

Cat said:

OP I think that it is unacceptable that non paying bidders get an additional 4 days to pay after they have purchased an item.

I think that non paying bidders should have Non payer recorded automatically in feedback when they get a strike.

I think that sellers should have more freedom in determining acceptable payment period, and be able to set their preferences accordingly as they do for post time

--------------------------------------

All great ideas, in my opinion.

So the current situation is that sellers can set a buy it now price and demand immediate payment before an item is considered as sold.

Or else they can put an item up for auction, in which case the buyer has 4 days in which to pay. And if they don't pay, another 4 days while the case drags on.

I can understand that in an auction format, we can't (at the moment) have instant payment but I don't think it would be unreasonable to set the default at 24 hours. I've often bid at auctions & I go back at leisure the next day and check if I have won. If so, I pay. It isn't hard.

24 hours allows everyone, shift workers, whoever, time to log on and pay.

I suppose if sellers wanted to extend time by arrangement there could be a facility for them to do that, but I really feel that for most auctions except pick up only, 24 hours is enough time.

Often I read on here that it is members only, no one official takes note. But I am not so sure of that. There are mods all over the place & they have to be in ebay employ. Perhaps not at the top of the totem pole, I know, but if ebay managers had any nous, they would have regular staff meetings where they asked mods and the call centre reps for any feedback, common problems/perceptions and so on.

If enough people complain about things, via phone, via boards etc, perhaps changes will be made over time.

Message 56 of 64
Latest reply

li.varia
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Please keep the conversations here on-topic and civil.  Also, please check Discussion Board Usage Policies page to ensure your posts abide by the Community Policies.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Varia

Community Moderator

Varia
Community Moderator
Message 57 of 64
Latest reply

Exactly right Springyzone.All i have asked,is what can we do as a collective unit, to get some changes in Ebay,to make non payers held accountable or even stop them if possible.I appreciate the advice that has been given,but to be told over and over to get my blocks in place and use all tools available is a bit silly.Did these people take any notice of my feedback score,i am not a newbie,so for these people who got on the bandwagon about getting blocks in place to presume i haven't done so,your'e wrong and to have to list items as BIN's only to be safe, is also wrong.Ebay originally started primarily as an auction site,so to lose this format or have it continually compromised by non-payers is also not right.If a seller chooses the BIN format,that is their prerogative,but please don't tell me that this is the way that i have to go to be safe.Again what can we do as a collective unit to make Ebay take notice?.

Message 58 of 64
Latest reply

The mods work for Lithium, who eBay have subcontracted board management to. eBay is in the US, call centre is in the Philippines.

Message 59 of 64
Latest reply

If we step back a little I believe there is an agenda here from ebay. They would like to become another Amazon. To this end they are making life more difficult for the small time seller, in an effort to disourage them from even listing. I would bet the big time sellers such as Good Guys don't pay the same fees as the rest of us, they wouldn't bother doing it. They are the sellers that ebay wants, not the mums and dads.

Message 60 of 64
Latest reply