Not a Policy Breach but Unethical?

While browsing last night I noticed a seller with heaps of listings in the clothing / accessories category, primarily of one particular brand. 

About half of the listings had sub-titles stating if you are paying less you are being conned or buying fakes.

Although no one would dispute the fact there are fake items on ebay I think a generic statement of that nature is misleading and unfair.  Admittedly someone selling dozens or hundreds of designer items at heavily reduced prices may sound alarm bells but there are lots of individuals, particularly in the lead up to Christmas, selling one off or several items significantly lower than retail price for a bit of extra cash.  Anyway, if this seller can source the legitimate items and sell them below retail, it's possible another seller can do likewise and perhaps at even more competitive prices.

I'm not saying this seller is breaching any policies but it seems tacky and dishonest.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Not a Policy Breach but Unethical?

If people who buy that seller's items are paying less than if they bought elsewhere, then yes, people probably are being conned (by this seller).

That sort of statement can backfire. Some people might be conned by the flashy ads on tv from people claiming to be the cheapest, but a lot of those sorts of ads turn just as many people off, if not more. You can overdo the hype. I personally run a mile from such sellers.
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

The most amusing thing to me is that the seller has "don't risk buying a cheap copy" as a subtitle on some Mimco earrings, but twice - in responding to negs for fake Mimco jewellery - they claimed literally no one copies Mimco jewellery. 

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

That's quite funny, but it figures.

I learnt a loooong time ago that the more someone says "You can trust me", the less I should trust them. In fact, they only need to say once that I can trust them, or that they're honest, and alarm bells start ringing!
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

I noticed this too.  I guess the air up in the Ivory Tower is a little thinner than down here with the common folk.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Common folk? OMG!! 

I’ll have you inow that my grandfather was the ‘Leading Hand’ sheeeeet carter in a little place called Uralla in NSW.

Common indeed. Hrruuumph!!

Melina.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply