Not a Policy Breach but Unethical?

While browsing last night I noticed a seller with heaps of listings in the clothing / accessories category, primarily of one particular brand. 

About half of the listings had sub-titles stating if you are paying less you are being conned or buying fakes.

Although no one would dispute the fact there are fake items on ebay I think a generic statement of that nature is misleading and unfair.  Admittedly someone selling dozens or hundreds of designer items at heavily reduced prices may sound alarm bells but there are lots of individuals, particularly in the lead up to Christmas, selling one off or several items significantly lower than retail price for a bit of extra cash.  Anyway, if this seller can source the legitimate items and sell them below retail, it's possible another seller can do likewise and perhaps at even more competitive prices.

I'm not saying this seller is breaching any policies but it seems tacky and dishonest.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Well if they mention brands in the title then they could be key word spamming.

And that contravenes policy - Search n browse manipulation.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

No, they are listing the items under the brand but then adding sub-titles with the dire warnings about fake items.  The suggestion is "if anyone is selling cheaper than me, the items must be fake".

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

JTDOD, ethics is a word long lost to history with many sellers here these days. I’m not generalising. I don’t mean all. And, I’ve seen far, far worse. Collectively, they all make it very hard for good honest sellers, but it’s a fact of life here now I think. Certainly, eBay do nothing to kerb unconscionable behaviour, and in many instances are seen by their actions (or lack of them) to condone it.

Just do your best to operate fairly, and move on. I do think most buyers notice it. And, they’re aware of the Grubs here, well the greater percentage I think, because they are constantly being educated by their own misfortune.

Probably just as many unconscionable buyers, if not more.

IIWII unfortunately.

Melina.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@the_dutchess_of_dork wrote:

No, they are listing the items under the brand but then adding sub-titles with the dire warnings about fake items.  The suggestion is "if anyone is selling cheaper than me, the items must be fake".

I guess some genuine sellers might feel frustrated at the number of fraudulent items in the market place and feel the need to combat in some way.

What's an item number ?

image host
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I agree counterfeit items are inherently unfair to buyers and legitimate sellers but this approach seems more self-serving than a genuinely constructive way to tackle the problem.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

They have a lot of negs for selling fakes it seems.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@the_dutchess_of_dork wrote:

I agree counterfeit items are inherently unfair to buyers and legitimate sellers but this approach seems more self-serving than a genuinely constructive way to tackle the problem.

Agree, seems more a marketing ploy then educating.

image host
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply