Offering free postage

I'm finding a free domestic postage option quite difficult to do at the same time as remaining profitable. If I include the postage cost in the price of the item then international customers are hit with an excessive price. If I don't include the cost of postage then I lose money on domestic sales. Does anyone else have this problem and have a solution to it.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Offering free postage

If the item price covers domestic postage, then the international postage price can be just for the difference.

eg Say an item (without postage) $20, domestic postage is $8 and international postage is $15 - the item price can be $28, free domestic post and $7 international post. 

I do something similar with one of my stores, and in cases where people buy multiples, I upgrade the shipping service. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Offering free postage

esayaf
Community Member
You can do free domestic post at the same time as charging overseas purchases. Just tailor your postage settings
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Offering free postage

Yes but I can't charge domestic and international customers a different price for the listed item so if I use free postage I either lose money on domestic sales or overcharge international sales. Free post only works for large value big margin items IMO.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Offering free postage

@craftmallmary wrote:
Yes but I can't charge domestic and international customers a different price for the listed item...
Free post only works for large value big margin items IMO.

a) Why not? It's only a few extra dollars, if you're sending things by large letter within Australia.

b) Lots of things sell for very cheap prices with free post. If you mean internationally, yeah, you're probably right. Unless you find a more economical postage service.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Offering free postage

If the item price covers domestic postage, then the international postage price can be just for the difference.

eg Say an item (without postage) $20, domestic postage is $8 and international postage is $15 - the item price can be $28, free domestic post and $7 international post. 

I do something similar with one of my stores, and in cases where people buy multiples, I upgrade the shipping service. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Offering free postage

Why didn't I think of that!?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply