Opinion on refunds

What's the general consensus on offering refunds for items missing in the post.  The item was posted 3 weeks ago along with approx 30 other items and one item hasn't been received.  I said that if it hadn't been received by last Friday I'd offer a refund.  I'll still stand by that, but just received a pretty harsh message from the buyer which was completely unnecessary.  

So despite the message, I'll still give the refund but what do most of you do? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Opinion on refunds

Depends on how it's posted.

Without tracking I would refund because if they open a paypal dispute, Paypal will refund anyway. And that's the chance I take by not utilising seller protection.

With tracking, I would check the tracking and probably not refund. Mainly because I use the option in C&S to have tracking updates sent to the buyer. If it sits at their PO for a week after that, that is their issue, not mine. If it really has gone missing, I would refund and fight AP over it.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

Thank you - yes there was no tracking.  The postage was only $1.30 so not worth it.  It's a small priced item, just wanted a general opinion. 

My first thought was also to refund.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

I refuse to  post anything worth more than $50 without registered post.  Don't know if its still the case, but you used to be able to claim up to $50 for a missing or damaged item through Auspost and I have done it succesfully a few times. The process is you ask for a complaint form and fill that out. It asks details about exactly when & where posted & description and value of the item. You take that to the PO & they send it off for investigation. The investigation takes up to 14 days. You might receive a phone call from the investigation department. You eventually after 2 to 3 weeks get a letter back from Auspost saying they couldnt find it, then you call the number listed and tell them you want to file a claim for the value of the item. I received a refund at least twice, but not sure if I was always succesful.

In your situation, assuming the value was less than $50 I would refund, cancel the transaction and put a claim in through Auspost. I would also try to get  agreement from the buyer that they will agree to cancel the transcation before doing the refund.That way you get your ebay fees back & it also protects you from a vindictice buyer leaving Neutral or Neg  even after you have refunded. I've seen it happen. And if the buyer paid with Paypal they can make a claim for item not received & unless you have proof of sending  (& no Paypal wont accept receipt from PO as proof) Paypal always favours the buyer & will refund them. So if via Paypal, you might as well get in first & refund.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

And for any item I sell, I offer register post as an option & state that buyer takes risk if they choose not to purchase registered post. That wont protect me from a Paypal chargeback, but at least I think it puts the buyer in the moral right

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

If postage was $1.30, then the item was sent as a letter. AP doesn't entertain claims for lost letters, I'm pretty sure.

And registered post doesn't exist for parcels any more. You need to use 'Signature on delivery' and then pay for insurance on top of that.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

No tracking - refund without question

Limited tracking as in ordinary satchels or parcels without signature required - refund after asking them to wait a few days while I get AP to investigate.

Tracking with click & send or signature required tell them to fight it out with Paypal if it shows as delivered, if it shows as not delivered ask them to go through Paypal who will find in your favour and they will have to fight with Paypal to convince them it has not been received and Paypal will need to cover the refund if awarded.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

missed that update about value of item & $1.30 postage. In that case, I would probably bite the bullet & refund. Morally the buyer shouldnt have to, but it comes down to how much you value avoiding a Neg & again if the buyer paid with Paypal, they can do a chargeback anyway.  I'm a bit out of touch with selling & postage. I was a Powerseller for a few years, now mainly a buyer & if I do have anything of my own to sell, use Gumtree

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

tstore
Community Member
@dags even with a refund and mutual cancelation of sale, buyers are still able to leave a negative or neutral feedback.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Opinion on refunds

You sure on that? I could have sworn once mutual cancelation is done, nobody can leave feedback

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply