Outrageous fees

I am over ebay. I cant believe they are charging around 11% for their cut. I am not a business, just a part time seller of stuff I dont need anymore. Taking 11% including a % of the postage is just BS.

Never again.

Off to Gumtree in the future.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Outrageous fees

ebay has gone downhill i hardly sell on here anymore now especially with their 4th greedy fees.  No such thing as free postage and now us buyers will be forking out more.  You really need to look at facebook i have a page there and sell WAY more than on here, i can sell things much cheaper as there is no fees.  There is many pages you can advertise your items you are selling and then that gives you more customers and likers.  They are trying to charge you for more fans to see your page but i never pay and im always flat out.  Quicksales is another one i have been on for years and yes sell more there than i do on here.  I cant believe years ago i would sell 95% of my items mainly designer kids 2nd hand clothing and now im lucky out of 100 free listings i sell 7 items!!!

I think people think ebay is the only selling place but there is many more options out there now and not one of them charge any fees.  I havent tried gumtree yet (only furniture and yes have sold everything) for my kids items i havent had time as facebook has so many ways to promote your page i cant keep up.  And no you dont pay extra fees on gumtree just delete and start a new ad each week.

Good luck with your sales

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

ok to charge for selling fees on items, you just mark it up to cover the fees. But placing a fee on our handling and postage cost is disgusting. They making money on our cost to post, and then when I include Ebay and Paypal postage fee in the handling cost, the buyer puts a negative feedback saying I'm ripping them off without even questioning. Can't win. Its like working for Ebay.  

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

Do what I (and lots of others) do, factor the extra cost into the start/BIN price.

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

My advice would be to accept the fees and concentrate on selling more. Many sellers have departed and the door is wide open in many categories. Most big retailers like Harvey Norman and JB HiFi are lucky to crack 5-10% net profit on turnover. On ebay you can get up to 80% net return after fees and Paypal. It has the most traffic and the most customers of any site bar none. Still the best place to sell!

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

The prob. with that, is that people who pick up the cost also pay the higher price, and ebay and paypal benefits. Besides postage, I now offer pickup on most items, so ebay & paypal can lose out on their commission on postage and handling cost. Its a benefit for buyers and the sale price is lower for people who wish to pickup. I now put a note on my items that postage and handling cost includes a min. of 12.3% of ebay & palpal fees. 

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

I actually buy my stock and am lucky to make $200 for sales of $1300 after ebay and paypal fees totalling 16%. It's dissappointing to work so hard for so litle

@phorum_junkie*wrote:

So you are selling stuff you don't want any more thus making 89% of the gross sale price (by your figures) for the minimal time it takes to put up a listing and deal with the administration after it sells. That is not a figure I would be complaining about, do you expect ebay to make nothing out of your sales?

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

You are selling in a saturated market.....clothing is one of the hardest categories to sell in successfully.

Fine a niche market where there is not much competition and you should do better.

By the way, you have dragged up a nearly 4 year old thread and not added anything different to the information.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

@dress-goddesswrote:

I actually buy my stock and am lucky to make $200 for sales of $1300 after ebay and paypal fees totalling 16%. It's dissappointing to work so hard for so litle

@phorum_junkie*wrote:

So you are selling stuff you don't want any more thus making 89% of the gross sale price (by your figures) for the minimal time it takes to put up a listing and deal with the administration after it sells. That is not a figure I would be complaining about, do you expect ebay to make nothing out of your sales?

ive never seen anyone post that ebay arnt greedy, its all part of being the only real place that does what they do.

if they had real competition then i would expect fees and charges to be lower.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

It is what it is and it won't get cheaper. The products you sell will either stand for the costs of doing business, of they won't. 

And, you make your money when you purchase, not when you sell.

I'd like reduced fees too. I take into account though, the alternative costs involved with standing alone and then driving traffic there. It's not easy and it's much more expensive.

Yes, I believe eBay is too expensive, but there is no alternative, really, right now. All you can do is have that glass of concrete with the bitter pill and get on with it like the rest of us.

Melina.

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

It's interesting. This post is almost 4 years old. I noticed the OP is still selling the occasional thing on ebay, or has been in the last 6 months or so. They must have found that it isn't so easy to sell on some of the other sites either.

I had some (new) shoes on gumtree for a couple of months & they only got 7 views. Maybe they wouldn't sell on ebay either but I suspect they would get more views than that.

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply