Paid but buyer didn't pick up item, buyer lost a false claim also... what are my right re leftover

64alec
Community Member

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Paid but buyer didn't pick up item, buyer lost a false claim also... what are my right re lefto

My question was short on detail... 'carrier..buyer' took 2 good furniture items

and left 3rd heavy item and clearly has no intention of honouring his

purchase.. where I have been 100% in this transaction.. (he lodged 2 false claims and

Ebay rejected immediately)   Hundreds of private Ebay buy/sell... this was 1st HICCUP

Thanks for you input   

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Re: Paid but buyer didn't pick up item, buyer lost a false claim also... what are my right re lefto

Thank you for coming back Alec.

You have still not stated what type of "claim" the buyer made & why they lost.

Why did the "carrier" demand a refund?

Presumably the buyer paid with PayPal & if so they have 180 days of buyer protection... not sure how it would work on a pick up item.

They may also have the back up of their credit card provider.

I am unable to offer any comment on the legal situation.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for your further reply...   The 'carrier' came at night, on his own, asked for screwdriver, then

claimed A BEDSIDE was missing, when in fact it was there and advertised as ONE bedside table

ONE dressing table ONE bad/base made by important Richmond maker (Standis..all 3 items were in

absolute superb condition) .....  So he initially demanded a refund (the 'carrier') who didn't supply a card 

when requested...initially... ONE bedside table missing!!.... when he realized all was exactly as I advertised

he went to dressing table and claimed it was damaged!  Also absolute **bleep**.  He went to neighbour for a screwdriver ,disassembled dressing table.... put the table and bedside table in his 'man with van'

and said he will come next day with a helper..(now I was really worried) and arranged some security for myself.

He didn't come....he lodged another false 'condition claim' HE LOST BOTH claims..patently contrived.

I was pleased when Ebay confirmed I was 100% in the right.

That is why I lodged the enqiry..to see if Ebay community experienced (scam??) and confirm I was entitled 

to Burn the ite,Donate the Item,onsell the item.....or legal right to arrange (genuine)carrier to remove item 

(at buyer's cost) which I won't do...and put this behind me...I'm 79 but I don't like being screwed or scammed

..Extra care now with who bids.   Thanks again... I also wonder how many other sellers have been through

this unpleasant experience.    Thanks again..p.s you are WELCOME bidder,,    Alec       

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Not meaning to be a pain... however you still don't say what type of "false claims" these were.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

So if I understand this right, by carrier you mean the buyer and what happened is the buyer turned up to collect a 3 piece bedroom suite but didn't like the look of the bed/base for some reason and had a discussion with you there and then, asking for a refund or partial refund for it as he only wanted 2 out of 3 of the items.  But in the end agreed to take the whole lot, coming back for the heaviest item next day, which he didn't bother to do. 

And isn't likely to do as he doesn't want the bed and base.

I can see your dilemma as I presume you sold this as a suite, not as 3 separate items? That means there is no agreed value as such for each piece.
I am glad you so far have not had to refund this buyer.

I have to tell you, I have heard before of buyers of pick up items trying to barter down the price of an item when they arrive to pick up and it isn't really fair on a sales site such as ebay as the seller is paying fees on the official 'sold' price.

My own suspicion is the buyer quite possibly wasn't interested in the bed/base right from the start and only bid as he wanted the other solid furniture.

Personally, if ebay have rejected his claims, I would stand my ground and do nothing. I don't believe this buyer has the moral right to any sort of refund.

Should he open a paypal claim, you'll need to make it very clear most of the suite has been collected and only the cheapest part left behind, leaving you inconvenienced and with something that would be hard to sell on its own.

He could potentially open a paypal claim for up to 180 days but I would hope he would not get a full refund, considering he has taken off with 2 of the 3 parts of the suite. I am actually wondering if he knows he can make a paypal claim as if he is so determiend to have made 2 attempts at ebay, you'd think he would have turned to paypal by now. Don't tell him!

I do not think this buyer is going to pick up at all. I don't know the exact legal situation. Are you able to store the left over piece in a garage or shed for a little longer?

If you message the buyer again at all, you could ask when they would like to pick up the last item but do mention also that 'now they have picked up the main parts of the suite...' etc, just so it is on record.

Obviously you can't be expected to store this indefinitely, so if you have looked up the legal side of it and know the regulations, just go with those. Good luck!

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you.

Always ask for cash on collection items & you will avoid experiences like this.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

GREAT RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION....  You and everyone else were excellent with your responses.

My 1st unpleasant experience. I thank  you SO much for your  time and well thought out solution

in an unbalanced system of fairness. Ebay input and assistance was not easy. I really was absolutely

certain that I sold a 100% bona fide (valuable..) bedroom suite and the buyer (clearly the buyer himself)

committed to buy (Ebay always claim a bona fide trade) is a 'contract' to buy.

p.s. If you are looking for a 5 star (STANDIS) double bed and base(dunlopillo)..  you are very welcome to it 

AND I'm willing to PAY YOU $1.

Also I'm proud I paid a seller $1500 for a Doulton rareity after winning auction for $548. I never regretted that

...Best wishes and THANKS again (you were spot on) with your comment,

Alec 

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply