Partial refund was paid to seller twice (system errors)

Hi, I offered a partial refund offer to my buyer for $100 parial refund as she is not happy that I did not mention the item I was selling has a dirt mark on it.  The opened case was closed on 20/09 as I made my payment via Paypal.  Three days later on 23/09, seller lodged another case against me saying she has not received the refund and is still currently opened.

I have checked my Paypal and my bank transcation history - my $100 refund was taken by Paypal TWICE and got sent to buyer accound on 20/09.  So the reason behind the buyer send another opened request to ask for more refund is unknown. 

I rang up Paypal yesterday first I was told I need to get to eBay first as they are unwilling to reverse the overpaid refund.   Then I rang eBay billings team, the lady on the phone said she is happy to write email and ask Paypal to reverse the charge as she can see that the system took my refund twice however she needs buyer to confirm $100 is what we agreed on.

I rang to another eBay customer service staff on phone today and got information that is completely opposite to what I previously got told.  She said she can 'see' from my ebay inbox messages history that I include $100 in text when offering the parital refund option. I have to ask Paypal to do reverse charge. (then I was like but is Paypal ask me to contact eBay first!!) She was like "no no Paypal should able to see your partial refund amount is $100)..   Its like they just passing this responsbillity like a ball between themselves and nobody would like to take any action.

Long story short, the person on the phone today sent a message to buyer stating "refund is paid twice incorrectly, please repay back to seller within 72 hours".  I also wrote buyer a message explaining this.  

So now I still have a open case against me about refund not paid as well as I overpaid the refund for extra $100.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Partial refund was paid to seller twice (system errors)

have you updated ACORN & the ombudsman?
Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

Good luck 🙂 Keep us posted as to how you go with the Ombi!

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

i am ringing the ombudsman tomorrow by calling them as I haven't any further email communications from them except the standard 'your dispute is lodged" acknowledmgenet email.

The buyer insisted that she only got overpaid $100 and thats the max she can return me for.

I will file a transcation dispute with my bank for my credit card.

Paypal is super dodgey, their customer service is uselss, cannot help you.  Just tell you to go back to eBay whenever something cannot be explained or gets complex.

As you can see, from Paypal activity page, the $22 Dendy Cinema payment became a $138.58 payment charged on my credit card that day appearing on my bank statement as $138.58 DENDY CINEMAS PAYPAL as Paypal was putting me $-116.58. Paypal asked me to go eBay to ask them why I got placed $-116.58 on 26/09.  eBay asked me to contacy Paypal as they cannot see on their system why a minus $116.58 occuring on their end (OMMGG)

And of course PLUS another two separate deductions from my savings account on 20/09 for $97.40 taken out TWICE (see screenshots from my original post)

It's disgusting that Paypal have the "power" and authority to auto charge buyer for the partial refund even thought I already manually issued the money to the buyer via following the prompts of offering the partial refund in the opened case link.  And the most bizzare part is, even eBay is not knowing where the money goes.  Nobody even can confirm with me this $138.00 credit card transcation taken out from Paypal ($22 goes to Dendy for my cinema tickets purchase), where does the $116.58 goes?  Nobody has a clue, I cannot trace it on my eBay inovice, eBay account.  Paypal activity page not showing this $116.58 going anywhere.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

Credit card charged by ebay - bank statement 26/09 

That's the $22 Dendy Cinema purchase with $-116.58 Paypal balance.  Previously my Paypal balance is $0 as I transferred all my funds from the sale of the eBay item into my savings.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 2.27.23 am.png

Savings account transcation ( 2 x $97.40 taken out) 

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 2.27.53 am.png

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

message from buyer:

Just to be clear this will be my final communication with you over this matter.
I have spoken with Pay Pal and gone over my accounts.
I owe you $100.00.
I do not owe you $200.00, that would there for imply that you repaid me $300.00, which is incorrect.
Friday 29 September 2017: Return Pay Pal #4029357733 AU $100.00 - refund owed to me as agreed.
Friday 29 September 2017: Return Pay Pal #4029357733 AU $100.00 - REUND OVERPAYMENT, PAY PAL SHOULD HAVE REVERSED THIS PAYMENT TO YOU.
Outside of these dates there is no other payment from you, *FANKI1314. (as shown on both Pay Pal invoice and bank statement)
I could see how this could be confusing, as Pay Pal has holding patterns and refund times vary.
I will pay what I owe you, which is $100.00, I have clear documents proving this and a conversation with Pay Pal- Jonothan #322456, at 12:33pm AST, lasting 28 minutes.
I suggest to you, that you cancel your latest invoice and update it to reflect as above conversation.
If you feel that this is not an agreeable solution, I strongly suggest you call Pay Pal with the above transaction numbers, to confirm.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

At least it sounds like your buyer has finally come to the party.

You *will* eventually get this sorted out, but it's just going to require more chasing to do so.

Lean on the ombudsmen to apply some pressure to PayPal - it sounds like the usual cluster-**bleep** of excuses and finger-pointing that eBay and PayPal bring out when they collectively screw a user. Just be relentless with anyone you speak to in CS at either company - escalate and ask to speak to supervisors, get the names of everyone you speak to along the way to hold them accountable for following through on whatever empty promises are made.

It truly is disgusting behaviour from both parties (eBay/PayPal) - big companies like these don't give a **bleep** about individuals like you - you've just gotta be the thorn in their side until they finally fix it.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

The way I see it, your buyer is correct. She was only given 2 lots of $100. To try and explain what I mean, you refunded her $100, which left your PayPal balance at $0. Then the auto refund went through giving her another $100, which left your PayPal balance at -$100 (negative $100). PayPal gets upset when your balance goes below $0, so have taken the $100 from your card to bring your PayPal balance back up to $0. Your PayPal account got the money, not your buyer. When the buyer pays you back the $100, your account will be $100 in the black.

For the first time ever, my PayPal balance went below zero a few weeks ago when eBay took their fees out. We are in the process of changing banks and the bank account that normally feeds PayPal didn't have enough left in it to cover the fees. The fees got paid, but my PayPal balance was in the red. As soon as I got the email from PayPal, I transferred money into that account and PayPal took it the next day to bring my account back into the black.

As for the cinema amount, I'm not sure what's happened there.

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply