Pay Pal scam??

Recieved this email  and follow up reminders (see attachment) asking me to claim the amount  .The email address is correct  and the links take you  to the Pay Pal login but  but the their return email address looks doggie and i dont know why  i should be receiving money .Anyone else  had this email sent to them ?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Pay Pal scam??

It sounds dodgy!

You could check the email headers and see if it really has come from Ebay.

Can you post the link from the button?

Pay Pal scam??

Is it in your actual ebay (or Paypal) messages

If it is not, it is a scam

If it is not, and if you have clicked on links, you're going to need to change all your passwords etc and report it to ebay and paypal

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Pay Pal scam??

@enigmabear wrote:

Is it in your actual ebay (or Paypal) messages

If it is not, it is a scam

If it is not, and if you have clicked on links, you're going to need to change all your passwords etc and report it to ebay and paypal

Just clicking on the links does not automatically give away any of your account details etc.

What it does do is to tell the scammers that they have scored an active email address since they can tell you have clicked on a link in the email. Now you can expect to be bombarded I would suspect since they will know your light is on.

However, if you do not have active anti-virus software installed then wherever the link took you could auto-download some malicious software onto your local computer. If that is a keystroke logger then anytime you log into anywhere they will be able to gather your passwords etc. NEVER click on links in emails unless you are 110% sure you know where it has come from.

If you do not have some kind of malware/virus detection software installed I would get it pronto and run a full virus and malware scan to be safe here.

To be safe tho, you should change passwords regularly anyway.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Pay Pal scam??

Just in case anyone's interested, there are a couple of free courses on cyber sercurity at the international open university: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses

I've just started a two week one and it's very good. I'm pretty 'net savvy, but this is still an eye-opener. And very up-to-date.

Pay Pal scam??

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Just log directly into your paypal account and see if there is any money waiting to be claimed.

Don't rely on information in an email....and don't go to your paypal account through a link in an email.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply