PayPal Chargeback-Unauthorised transaction

Just had a PayPal chargeback case opened against me for an 'Unauthorised Transaction'.

A buyer bought an item from me and the ebay eBay account was opened that very day (he bought it with immediate PayPal payment required)

I posted the item but it was a letter so I have no proof that I've sent it.

It looks like another win for the scammers, as it appears I won't be covered by that useless crock of $#1+ known as 'seller protection' without any tracking info.

Can anyone suggest what the outcome may be or what I can do to help my case? There were no other details about how the transaction was deemed 'unauthorissed'.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: PayPal Chargeback-Unauthorised transaction

The PayPal chargeback fee is $15. They only hit you up for this fee if you choose to contest it.
If you do contest it and win they will credit the $15 fee back to you.
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@hotrodvideo wrote:

Must be the month for credit card charge backs( Unathorised transaction  ) via pay pal. Just received one for an item sold on Christmas day ! .Again my item was sent to the USA  airmail letter rate no tracking ( $3 postage as compaired to around $20 tracked parcel ) . Got the usual notification fromn PP wanting proof of posting etc.otherwise i loose my funds  .Seems PP  dont give a damm regards security with  card payments ,I was in the US last year their credit card security is Backwards , the shop assistant handnt seen the  RFID chip before and they know nothing about pay wave, seems banks overthere are reluctant to implement security, lots of resturants a getting hit with chargebacks according to news reports

Pay wave is the furthest thing from "security" I can think of.

In my experience, the US customers complain/request chargebacks 20% more than here. I jack up their postage price to cover the extra risk of sending things to them.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

The US credit card security is abysmal.....a parent can just give their child their card to go on a shopping spree.....no authorisation needed.  how "safe" is that?

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Ah yes just like you see it happen in the movies lol.

Anyone can use anyone's creditcard as they are all so honest aren't they in the US

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@hotrodvideo wrote:

Must be the month for credit card charge backs( Unathorised transaction  ) via pay pal. Just received one for an item sold on Christmas day ! .Again my item was sent to the USA  airmail letter rate no tracking 

Sometimes the customs number is tracked in the US, which if you have a record of it, may be able to help establish proof of post (or delivery if it's tracked as delivered).

Do you have access to self-service terminals at an Aus Post outlet? If you do, you can use those to get lodgement receipts that list all of the customs numbers individually of any OS package scanned in, whether it's tracked or not (the staff at my PO don't seem to be able to figure out a way to do this at the counter terminals, though it's been mentioned here before that it's possible).

I take photos of the package with the customs form and keep them for a minimum of 6 months (chargebacks can happen up to a year after the initial purchase, though, so it can be worth hanging on to them for longer), I make it so the address is clearly visible, and file the lodgement receipt by date in case I ever need it. I've not yet had to test whether PayPal will accept these things as proof of postage, though, since all of my chargebacks have been from Australian buyers. 

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

I've got 2 similar cases recently. The 2nd one is more obvious fraud. We've reported buyer to eBay. And called PayPal team to explain all situation.

Hoping they will make the right decision.

Stolen credit cards make more damage to sellers than before.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Sadly, I think most likely you'll lose the case no matter what you do for PayPal.

I've had about 4 over the years and lost every single one of them to the tune of around $1000 in total.  PayPal always do a song and dance via email about fighting the chargeback but I really believe that not a lot happens.

Buyers also don't care if the bank opens a chargeback.  I remember one buyer said the bank called them about "suspicious activity" one day and they just agreed to whatever the bank wanted to do without reaslising what the payment was for and how much trouble it caused me.  I lost the money still, even though twice the buyer said they had asked to reverse the chargeback.  I think PayPal also simply don't care after a certain amount of time.

It's a real low point of online selling.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

We recently had a charge-back on PayPal as a result of an eBay buyer lodging a charge-back with her credit card provider for a  fraudulent transaction.

Item was sent by regular mail so we had no proof or postage to satisfy PayPal seller protection

HOWEVER, we did point out to PayPal the buyer had in fact left us positive feedback for the eBay transaction, there proving the item had been sent, and to the correct address. 

Common sense dictates proof of received should satisy the proop of postage requirement.

Not the case and we lost the appeal

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea!

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

You're most welcome Heart, hope you never need to use it ๐Ÿ™‚ but if you do, I hope it helps you (and other sellers) win the odd battle

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply